• Register Today It's free!

2 Inch Body Lift

Diggity UW99

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
I have heard some interesting things about adding a body lift on to a vehicle. One that I heard lately was that it can cause damage to the body since the weight is being held on a few specific points (the body spacers) instead of resting on the frame and having the weight evenly distributed. Has anybody had any serious problems with body lifts? I am not going to be real hardcore with my vehicle, I just want the 2 inch skyjacker suspension and was looking for a little more clearance so I could run 32x11.50s. Thanks for any help on the issue.

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One that I heard lately was that it can cause damage to the body since the weight is being held on a few specific points (the body spacers) instead of resting on the frame and having the weight evenly distributed.
When it comes from the factory, the body is not directly bolted to the frame. It has rubber spacers in there. All a body lift is, is just putting in longer spacers.

Gonzo is right. Look underneath your Explorer and you should be able to see the spacers that came on your vehicle originally. The body is not riding directly on the frame right now, that would be a very rough ride. These spacers are put in as a cushion to help absorb road vibrations, etc.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. So do the body lift spacers just sit underneath the rubber bushings? Thanks for the help.

Dan

They sit on top of the busings. Between them and the body.

If you look inside the wheel well you can see the poly bushing sitting atop the factory rubber one in this pic.
PassRrWhl.jpg

Edit: Damn daily limits, you can find the same pic here, its the one of the passenger's rear wheel.

I see, thanks for the help. Also, how difficult is it to do the steering extension? Does it create a lot of play? I don't want to screw up drivability too much ya know.

Thanks,
Dan

My steering extension (on my '96) was cake to install. But I know on a 2" Ranger kit I dont even think you need an extension. Are the 1st gen Explorer's different??

for 2" you dont need an extension

That's great! One less thing I will have to do. Does anyone have any good pictures of how far the frame sticks out from under the body after the BL? That is the only thing I am really worried about. I don't want it to look goofy or anything. I have seen a lot of bad body lifts on other makes and models, but 2 inches isn't that much. Anyways, I have searched around but can't seem to find any good photos on a 1st gen.

Dan

Dead Link Removed
This is a 3" body lift. So yours won't even be this bad. Especially if you have boards/steps/sliders.

i was looking at a 2 inch body lift on 4wheelparts... and i was wondering if there kit comes with bumper brackes or what not? and would u rather go just suspention or also add a body lift? and would it be safe to mix?

suspension is better...... but a bl and suspension can be added safely... as long as you dont drive like a moron, b/c your cg will be a lot higher....... i believe the pa kits come with bumper brackets that will work fine.....

I was on the performance accessories website earlier and they come with the bumper brackets as well as the steering extension. I always thought that a body lift didn't raise the center of gravity quite as much as suspension lift since suspension lift also raises your frame and drivetrain.

refresh my memory, for 2 inch, we get the late model ranger body lift, right? 98 and up? part number per792-2?

Okay, I read through this post and it did help a little. I was looking into buying the 2 or 2 and a half inch suspension for my frist gen explorer. The question i have is, will i need to extend anything like brake lines, steering shaft ect.? Thanks for the help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Back