• Register Today It's free!

2" lift questions

92 green sport

Reaction score
City, State
long island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
I am contemplating whether or not I should do a 2" suspension lift and 31" tires on My 92 Sport (5spd., 3:27 gear, 86kmiles, not a daily driver, mostly used on sand beaches and for trips snowboarding). My concerns are:

Will I lose gas mileage? What gear should I go with to keep my MPG economical?

How will the truck handle on the highway compared to before it was lifted?

Will I be able to get it alligned at the average alignment shop?

Is there anything I should know before doing this?

How many hours would the installation take?

Thanks in advance! :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good questions! I was wondering all the same things! Also what is "death wobble"?

1- Yep you will. You now need more power to get the bigger tires moving. I have the same 3.27's & 31's & I lost 4mpg city & 3 hw. 3.73 gears would be good to swap to.(but expensive to do)
2- It will drive fine as long as things in the front end are good. Good bushings, shocks, alignment, balanced tires etc. Took mine on a 3K+ mile road trip recently & it was great except for getting up bills hills & the gas milage.
3- As long as you have the new alignment cams that will be fine. May not even need them. So do some don't.
4- Yes, the lower shock mounts my sheer off. Had that happen. There are ways to fix it(search on that) The spring nut is a PITA to get off. You need tools for this job, if you don't have them let a shop deal with it.
5- Installation should be about a day depending oh how you work. For a shop it should be about 4-8 hours

Great. Thanks.

On #4, are you referring to the front shock mount?

Will I need to get anything else besides the coil springs and add-a-leaf?

I was going to do the same thing with the 2" skyjacker kit, and I'll probably get slightly extended shocks since I need new ones any way...if you'll be taking it off road you may want to consider that.

I went to ebay, bought new springs (about 125$ shipped) and warrior shackles (about 75$ shipped). that got me 2" higher. its really easy with basic tools to do. once you just get dirty and do it you'll be able to do it in the dark. good luck! Oh yeah one more thing, you are gonna lift it 2" and not be satisfied, you will then want 4", and then 33 inch tires... and then 6" lift.. oh you'll see

Bigg,

How easy was it to do the front springs? Are you happy you did it?

I am pretty mechanical. I have done springs in cars but none that were actually bigger than the originals. You had to use a spring compressor tool right?

Installing the springs is easy, as long as you have a spring compressor. Getting the old ones out is simple, but you will have to compress the new spring about a inch in order to get it over the lower bolt. Also clean and grease the antisqueak disk while you are at it.

Darrman said:
but you will have to compress the new spring about a inch in order to get it over the lower bolt.

NO.... :thumbdwn:

Darrman said:
Also clean and grease the antisqueak disk while you are at it.

YES.... :thumbsup:

I am more than glad i did it, but i have since removed the 2 inch lift and installed a 4 inch lift, also i have a 2 inch body lift, it is very addicting, you do not need a spring compressor, it is easy to remove and install the springs, just unbolt the sway bar, shock and the spring itself and the sucker just comes right out the new one goes right in. very simple, after i installed the new springs i went to les schwab and they did my caster/camber and alignment for about 120$ and off to the river i went

pughman,

I don't get it? The front spring is tough to do?

Biggs,

So it will only take a few hours to do the entire install right? Have you had any problems with the shock mount?

No need for a spring compressor. If you unbolt the sway bar the RA will move down enough to get the spring out & the new spring in.
Yeah the front lower shock mounts. I did my install myself with air tools & would never do it again. Not worth the pain at least to me. I had the shock mount break, needed to buy a 4 foot breaker bar to get the spring nut off. Scratched the side of my X cause the bar was so big. Took 2 days. It was miserable. I would have paid the shop the $400 to do it if I knew.
Then again some have installed it in a breeze.
The rear isn't bad, but again you need some muscle to get the bolts out.
I really don't see how some are able to get this done without air.

well it will probably take you a little longer, what are you doing with the rear? shackles or aal? the rear took me longer then the front. i have aal and shackles in the rear. no i have never had a problem with my shock mount and i get my **** airborn on a regular basis, i go wheelin every weekend. the springs should only take a couple of hours. the shackles took me like 3 hours because the bolts were all rusty and i had to cut them out. the aal was not hard at all took about 2 hours. jason i was one of the lucky ones. I prefer to be the only one workin on my truck, not only is worth drinkin beer, but if you break on the trail, you have a clue on how to fix you rig

I was going to do add a leaf? What is aal?
I thought the rear would be easier

a=add
a=a
l=leaf

:D

I'm gonna put my helmet back on now lol

anyone who has had this done, does the truck feel unstable at highway speeds?

the aal firmed up the ass of my ex. the shackle lift made it a little squirmish, i got used to it. any lift is gonna take away from handling in some way or another, but what you wanna do is cheap, easy, effective, and wont to much in the way of how your ex handles other than you'll be a little more off road capable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What gear do you suggest for 31" tires? I have 3.27's now with a 235/75 tire and like it.

Back