• Register Today It's free!

2 M5OD's to make 1?

Brocster

Reaction score
City, State
Holtville CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' xlt
Hi I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the internals of all the M5OD's are interchangeable? The reason I ask, is because a buddy of mine gave me (yes free haha) an M5 out of his 4x4 91 Navajo. Its pretty worn and the case is cracked but its free. I found a "rebuildable core" M5 4x2 at the scrapyard with a tag that says F57A-EA. I googled the tag and found these trannys came in 95'-98's (?).Could I stuff the output shaft from the 4x4 trans into this one? Thanks in advance!

P.S.- I did try a search but couldn't find anything

Yup, switches right over.

Though watch out for Ranger 2.3/2.5 and 3.0 transmissions, they have different gear ratios than the 4.0 transmissions. They can be used as donors, but require a more extensive process.

I just stripped out 2nd gear in my 4x4 4.0 M5 last weekend, and plan to rebuild it with the lower gear set from a 2wd 3.0 M5 I have lying around. I plan on doing a write up too, though it might be a week or so till then.

Yup, switches right over.

Though watch out for Ranger 2.3/2.5 and 3.0 transmissions, they have different gear ratios than the 4.0 transmissions. They can be used as donors, but require a more extensive process.

I just stripped out 2nd gear in my 4x4 4.0 M5 last weekend, and plan to rebuild it with the lower gear set from a 2wd 3.0 M5 I have lying around. I plan on doing a write up too, though it might be a week or so till then.

Excellent thank you! I have suspicion that it was pulled from a 98' sport 4x2 that is elsewhere in the yard, but I don't know that for sure. Any way to identify it as a 4.0 trans as opposed to a 2.3 or 3.0? The guy told me that since it was dubbed a "rebuildable core" , he would probably let it go for $100 or so and that it may work fine but he doesn't know.

Back