2 New Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
I'm having 2 new problems. Unsure if they are related. '99 5.0 Mounty.

1. There is a whining sound coming from the engine. Not super loud, but getting louder. RPM related - higher pitch with higher RPM. Doesn't matter if moving or parked. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine, towards the top, passenger side. Doesn't seem to be a belt or the tensioner or the idler pulley. The alternator is less than a year old. I don't see any fluid leaking anywhere. No funny smells. Seems to be running ok, except for the whine.

2. The tachometer is kind of jumpy. It doesn't move smoothly, even though the engine seems to be pretty smooth. Especially after letting off of the accelerator. Especially if it's revved a little in park. A couple of weeks ago, after I started her up, the tach went to 4 grand and stuck there for a couple of minutes, even though the engine was idling/revving fine.

I didn't notice either of these 2 problems until just after I replaced my radiator a couple of weeks ago. Again, not sure if any of this is related.

Does it sound like its coming from the compressor clutch? Had a similar sound and the clutch was going, replaced the assembly (which was a royal pain in the ass). Replacing the whole compressor with clutch already attached would have been far easier and only like 100 bucks more, but I was stubborn and determined to get that clutch on lol. But have you replaced any of your pulleys? Their all in the front so can be hard to pinpoint sound, bearings can go bad, I did all mine and the sound went away, but my bearings were going bad and the clutch assembly was going for the compressor so replaced everything and new belt.

Take the belt off and spin the pulleys even the newer alternator, you'll know if something sounds out of wack.

Does the whir sound kind like a chirping? I oiled my CPS and that sound went away and has for the last year.

No, no chirping. It's kind of like a rub of some sort, or maybe an air leak. It's a constant sound, kind of like the sound the steering box makes when the fluid level is low. But I know it isn't the steering box. The sound quality does not change whether the A/C is on or off, if that makes a difference.

Remove the belt and run the cold engine for less than one minute to rule out belt or pulley issues.

Back