• Register Today It's free!

2 pump removal questions

raaizin

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
1) To detach the feed and return lines from the fuel pump, you must partially lower the fuel tank right?

2)Is the tool to remove the lines from the fuel pump the same one used to service the fuel filter??

I put it up on stands tonight, doesnt seem like such a bad job..:rolleyes:

Yup-you are on the right track--

I found it best to remove the 3 screws holding the fuel filler to the fender-and dropping the whole works.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Well, trust the internet to find two dissenting opinions, huh?. I just did my fuel pump last month (check the sticky at the top of the page).

First, Im not sure if you are taking about the fuel tank filler and vent lines, or the fuel supply and return lines?

I didnt remove the filler line at the fender, and I would generally advise not to, it just seems like more work. I found that dropping the spare tire allows you to sit up under the truck (assuming you've raised it enough) and get to the filler and vent lines easier. I also found that you have to tug and twist and rock the lines back and forth while depressing the plastic lock tabs, and that I'd rather have the tank mounted so its not moving around.

Once you have the filler and vent lines off, you can lower the tank to get to the supply and return lines without having to undo the filler line at the fender.

As for your second question : Yes. Beware of the ones from Autozone if you are renting the tool.

Back