20 inch tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20 inch tires

Will 275/45 20 inch tires mess up my computer and tranny if my stock tire is255/70 on 16's???????????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might but you can always get the computer recalibrated to your new tire size. just get the new tires and go to ford for recalibration

your stock tires are 30.1" tall.....the new combo you want will be 28.7" tall... this will give you better acceleration but not as great high speed (like the explorer was meant for high speed)... however i caution you that you will need a wide rim becuase a 275 is very wide.....

Originally posted by jimabena74
your stock tires are 30.1" tall.....the new combo you want will be 28.7" tall... this will give you better acceleration but not as great high speed (like the explorer was meant for high speed)... however i caution you that you will need a wide rim becuase a 275 is very wide.....
the wierd thing is those 275/45's are the same measured width as my P265/70's........go figure...i dunno why.

a 265 and a 275 are really only a centimeter different.... a centimeter is not that much

ok, but if we were comparing different sizes on 16" rims it would have a bigger difference between the widths...I was just saying i didn;t think he'd have much trouble with width.

Why is this in Explorer Audio??

Originally posted by VairKing
Why is this in Explorer Audio??
It's not.....is it? Mine says tire and wheels

Weird, it said it was in Explorer Audio earlier. Maybe my computer is having issues. Who knows.

It's in Audio according to what I'm seeing

just checked and its in both tires and audio

LOL, I guess my computer isn't having issues after all. Maybe a moderator could move it to just Tires and Wheels...

well i appreciate everyones reply. i will let you guys know what happens when i get the rims and tires.

The set of tires I was recomended by the wheel shop for stock replacment with 20" rims was 275/45/20. I looked at Nitto and they show the outter dia 30.1 and my stock 255/70/16 is 30.2 Good Year. So I think they should be fine. Can't wait to get them on.

Matt you dont know how gratifying your reply was to me. ive been waiting a while for someone with the same truck as me, who is also getting 20's , to reply. ive heard so many tire measurements its not funny. but to know that i probably wont have a problem, assuming my 275/45 goodyears are the same diameter as the nitto. thanks again. when i get the rims on(prob 3 weeks) ill try to post pics. later

aj

the diameter should be the same because the 275 is 275 milimeters across (the width of the tire). and the 45 means that the sidewall is 45% of the width.

i know the that but i wasnt sure if because the make of the tire was different if they would be be off by a little considering i have heard about 5 different measurements for those tires

Think about the difference between the diameter of a brand new set of stockers and the diameter of used ready to be replaced stock tires. There is about as much difference there is there is in your new 20's and the stock 16's. I am not that worried about it. I am going to go get an alignment after installation. So I guess I could have them check out the rotation as well. But I plan on swapping back to the stock tires in the fall and then back to the dubs in the spring. To keep them looking great.

Good Luck!

ive got Nitto's on mine (17's not 20's) and i am very happy with them. very grippy, great handling, not much road noise. 10,000 miles on 'em, and they arent showing any wear. all of this in spite of the fact that i drove it for 2k with the frontend WAY out of alignment.:nono:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JAMES T - did u have to use spacers for ur cobra Rs?

Back