20'' polished aluminum wheel maitainance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20'' polished aluminum wheel maitainance

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Cleaners for Aluminum & Polished Wheels

I have never had painted wheels or know the difference between painted and regular aluminum wheels. I'm wondering if there's something special that needs to be done to maintain them. Does it have a clearcoat on them? Do I need to wax them or do I use rim cleaners? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never had painted wheels or know the difference between painted and regular aluminum wheels. I'm wondering if there's something special that needs to be done to maintain them. Does it have a clearcoat on them? Do I need to wax them or do I use rim cleaners? Thanks!

Most wheels are painted. Yes, it has a clear coat. Best way to maintain is by using hot soapy water, and coat a few time per year with a quality wax like RejeX Wax. If you use a product like this, wheel cleaners are a waste and unnecessary. The dirt will just fly off with soapy water and properly waxed. In fact, most wheel cleaners do more harm, than good.

After you wash your wheels, blow dry with your leaf blower. Works great for the entire truck too.

Has anyone found a paint code to touch up these painted rims. Mine are on a 2011 and I've got a few stone dings in them.

Making those wheels SHINE?

Good evening, I was looking for any suggestions on cleaning and polishing our 20" Polished Alum on our 2012 xlt. I am currently using just a wheel cleaner from Eagle 1 and it is just not keeping the wheels looking Polished. I was looking for any suggestions on cleaners and polishing. Thank you!

Remember those wheels are clearcoated......

Adams Buttery Wax.

Im sorry if this question is repeated. Ive tried very hard to find a definitive answer and havn't so I wanted to post a new thread. I have the 20'' polished on my new explorer and Im just curious if I can use Mothers mag and aluminum polish on them to buff them and clean them. I want to keep my wheels looking good and want to know the right way to maintain them (im new to all this car care stuff). I do have the meguiars hot rims aluminum wheel wash thats supposed to be gentle for washing them but what can I use to polish them. Through doing a little research I got the impression that the mothers polish is not the right product to be using. Please steer me in the right direction :).

By the way I absolutely LOVE my new ride that I got a few weeks ago!

No...they are clear coated....just use a good quality cleaner that is low in ph and do not let brake dust stay on them for long or it will grind into the clearcoat. Do not use anything that has any acids in it! It is what will cause the clearcoat to crack and craze.

I guess I would like some more input. What products would be good to use?

I use Rejex on mine. The brake dust comes off easily with water. It's like a wax sealant.

Here's the link http://www.autogeek.net/rejex-16oz.html

Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA1A8ViAalM

I shouldn't have to worry about protecting them now because I plasti dip mine. So all I use now is soap and water.
SAM_2907_zps5b34dfd1.jpg

20’’ polished aluminum wheel cleaning

I have the 20’’ polished aluminum wheels and I am looking for a solution for cleaning them. I currently use (on other cars) brown royal wheel cleaner which works great but I believe it is too strong for the aluminum wheels. I am looking at p21s gel or sonax and would love suggestions. I have looked around the forms and have not seen too much info except that the aluminum are NOT clear coated. Any suggestions on what people have used on their aluminum would be nice.

& during winter?

So there are many posts about winter tires, but what about these rims in the winter?

Besides frequent hosing off (& blasting the calipers good) -
are these all season rims?

I use Adams polish products on all of my vehicles....Adams quick sealant is the perfect product for wheels...it will protect them from brake dust and anything else for months....Adams also makes a wheel cleaner that is excellent! Check out Adams polishes website

All Ford OEM "polished" aluminum wheels are clear coated. A quick test would be to take some aluminum polish on a Q-tip, just test on a not easily seen surface. Wipe dust off the surface and rub the Q-tip on if it comes up black then it is not clear coated. I tested this on my Limited loaner and it did not show any black indicating it was clear coated.

Plus if they were not clear coated you would be polishing them on a weekly basis due to white oxidation showing on the surface!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So there are many posts about winter tires, but what about these rims in the winter?

Besides frequent hosing off (& blasting the calipers good) -
are these all season rims?
I think that most members that use Winter tires do so on different rims. I use the Base model 17" steel rim and one advantage it has is that it isn't wide open like my 20" OEM wheels. It offers more protection to the pads, rotors and other brake system parts.

Peter

Back