20" rims and Tire question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20" rims and Tire question

Berto8420

Reaction score
Hey quick question on tires. I have the stock 2002 Mountaineer wheels on with I believe a positive 44 offset, and I will be putting on an aftermarket
20" wheel with a positive 22 offset. I believe that means it will stick out a touch if I am right. So the tire question is I found a sweet set of tires for real cheap that are 295/45/20 and should be close enough to stock diameter specs " I think about 3.2% difference" which wont change the speedo much but will they be to wide or rub, need a tire guys help here. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be good to go with that tire and rim size.

Didn't know if they would be to wide. 295 seems pretty wide compared to stock 245. Did not want to have any rubbing issues.

you are pretty close in overall diameter but are atleast 2 inches wider thank stock. with the change in offset you should be ok but will deff. stick out.

my 20s stick out about 1.5 to 2s ouside the fender. the only place it rubbed were full turn the outside of the tire rubbed the wheel well. I had 265/50-20s. wasn't enough to worry about. I wish I knew what offset they were. I never really new how to measure rims

Didn't know if they would be to wide. 295 seems pretty wide compared to stock 245. Did not want to have any rubbing issues.

It's not just about tyre width though - it's a combination of tyre width, aspect ratio, rim width and rim offset.

You say the rims are a 22 offset, but if they're only 6" wide, then they will rub. Assuming they are 8 or 8.5" wide, then the whole package should be fine.

Diameter wise you should be fine, its only a 30" tire im just not to sure if you will rub a full lock when turning but im sure someone else will chime in.

you should have any rub at all. they are basically gonna look like the stock wheels as far as how far they are gonna stick out. in my opinion I would go with 8 or 8.5 inch wide wheels. 7.5s aren't that wide at all. id go 20x8.5 and do a 265/50-20 inch tire. I just like the look of a wide tire

I love the wide look to but for the price at closeout right now for the 7.5, I almost can't turn it down...So your saying it shouldnt' rub at all?

"We're sorry. We couldn't load the page you requested.

You may have used an outdated link or possibly typed the address (URL) incorrectly. To find what you're looking for, use the links below or in the navigation above."

no rub at all if im correct. if im not someone correct it but you should be good

Anyone?

those wheels are sick def. look sick on a explorer. remember the wider you go the more of a lip your gonna have

Thanks man...I love em already...Just went through with the purchase...Hope they fit

Got my rims they are sweet. I got Black Zenetti Stella 20" wheels with chrome lip. They are 20 x 8.5 and they are deep. I still am confused on tires though. I found a set of hardley used pirelle scorpion zero's that are 295-45-20 which would be about 3.2% bigger then stock which should be ok??? I can get them for $150 for all four, that is less then retail for one tire. Or I can get a set of continetal 275-45-20 which would be inside the 3% of stock size that are alittle more used for the same price. I think the 275's would be an awesome match but the 295's way better deal. Just affraid the 295"s are to big and may rub?? remember my stock wheel offset is +44 and the new wheels are +22 so they will stick out alittle. Any input will help getting tires tom. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back