• Register Today It's free!

20" Tire Suggestions

dndsam

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
I have an 08 Limited that has the P255-50-R20 Pirelli tires. I have a little over 20K on them and they are getting down to the wear bars already. Not impressed with the performance of this Pirelli tire.

Any suggestions for replacement tires? I am considering a set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. There does not appear to be a wide selection for this size and they are not cheap either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone in Explorer Land have any 20" tire recommendations? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Look into Korean brands (Nexen and Hankook). I recently put Nexen Rodian HPs on my X and wrote a early review in "show me your 20's" thread.

I'm actually quite happy with the factory Pirellis that came on the 20s.

How many miles have you driven out of your Pirelli's?

How many miles have you driven out of your Pirelli's?

36,000 miles and they're nowhere near the wear bars. Well actually approximately 12,000 miles were on winter tires so let's say 24,000 miles.

I am considering a set of Hankooks. Anyone have any experience with this brand of tire? I personally have been a Michelin and Firestone/Bridgestone man myself. The deal being offered on the Hankooks are almost too good to pass up. I read somewhere that they earned a Q1 award from Ford for quality and actually are OEM tires on some of their vehicles, just not sure which ones.

I noticed the '11 Explorer Limited at car show had 20" Hankooks ( Optimo or something like that ).

Somewhat related, I've had Hankook Ventus summer tires on my Mercedes sedan with excellent results for first 6K + miles.

Well, the search is over. I went with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. After latching on to the last set in Texas through Firestone, I know I will be pleased with these as I have had them before on a Gen 3 Explorer. Discount Tire searched throughout the US to find a set and came up empty handed. They said the tire was on national backorder and did not know when they would be available. I seriously contemplated the Hankook Ventus AS RH07's to save a few bucks, but after reading several reviews, I was concerned about the long term quality and performance of the tire. Ultimately, I went with a product I know, one that is made in the great U.S.A, over a South Korean product that I know nothing about. I still have a hard time understanding why Ford used an odd ball sized tire that has limited options to use.

I have 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Much more off road looking tire, but dead quite and excellent all weather traction and summer grip. Very happy with them.

Just missed this thread. If you are not happy with your purchase when they wear out, look into the Hankook Ventus ST RH06 tires. I have them in 275/45/20's and recommend them to anyone;) They do great in the rain, so far doing well in the snow/ice and have a 50,000 mile wear warranty.

Back