• Register Today It's free!

20 x 12.5's on '05 ST?

BcHXpLoReR

Reaction score
City, State
Right near the beach boyyyyyy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I just bought black Rockstar's for a steal of a price that I couldn't pass up. Will they fit? I planned on at least a 3" body lift and 33's. Would I need spacers to compensate the extra width?

I tried looking through other threads first. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the backspacing? The need for spacers is going to completely depend on the wheels. What is the wheel width; I assume the 12.5 you refer to is the tire and not the actual wheel. A 12.5" tire will fit fine with some trimming.

Sorry, I misinformed you. The wheel width is 10 not 12. I didn't have time to measure the backspacing before heading out to work (I looked up the exact model and size online and all matches have a backspacing of 4.56). But, I did verify the width. I don't have tires yet because I was going to buy the rims regardless of whether I kept them for personal use or not. I'd really like to use them and I am new to the world of ST's. I've owned mine for almost 2 months.

Right now, my ST is stock all the way through. Do you have recommendations? I'd like to put 33's on them. I know I'll need a lift in order to do that. I've seen people regret doing the TT & shackles. So, should I just go for the BL?

Sorry, I misinformed you. The wheel width is 10 not 12. I didn't have time to measure the backspacing before heading out to work (I looked up the exact model and size online and all matches have a backspacing of 4.56). But, I did verify the width. I don't have tires yet because I was going to buy the rims regardless of whether I kept them for personal use or not. I'd really like to use them and I am new to the world of ST's. I've owned mine for almost 2 months.

Right now, my ST is stock all the way through. Do you have recommendations? I'd like to put 33's on them. I know I'll need a lift in order to do that. I've seen people regret doing the TT & shackles. So, should I just go for the BL?

I dont regret TT and shackles which I did more then two years ago.

Good to know. Maybe their bad experiences were unique.

The shackles will flatten the leafs over a good amount of time. A lot of guys are switching to te add a leaf springs that give almost te same lift as the shackles. They make the truck stiffer but increase payload an wont flatten the stock springs like lift shackles. Offtrac is a good person to talk to. He's had both and is really happy with the AAL. Most guys running 12.5 wide tires have between 3.75 and 4.25 back spacing on their wheels. Personally I have 3.75 with 35" tires and really didn't have to trim very much. If you only need 3" of lift I would go for the body lift so that you don't alter your suspension at all. If you want to get more room for flexing, say for trails, then I'd do both.

With those wheels (assuming the bolt pattern is the same, too) and wanting 33s, I'd get a body lift, mount tires on it and see how it fits. If necessary, then a 1" or less spacer would be about perfect. Any bigger of a spacer with a 10" wide wheel is going to push them out pretty far and make you do more trimming.

Considering I have 35s with a body lift, 1.75" torsion twist and about 1.75" in the rear from the add-a-leaf, I'd feel confident a 33x12.5 tire would fit with just a body lift and I wouldn't touch the torsion bars.

Or, another option is no body lift, TT and add-a-leaf (my preference over shackles). Lono has that setup with shackles instead of add-a-leaf. Any of these configurations will work, if the wheels work.

Back