• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0 OHV Saga

stol

Reaction score
City, State
Clarkston, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
At 72K my engine started idling rough and the engine light came on. The dealer said they found both cylider heads cracked and after more than $3,000 I got my truck back.

Well at 101,000 engine light is back on and idling rough again. P0305 cylinder 5 misfire, according to Auto-Zone. I replaced the plugs and wires and cleaned the MAF, didn't help. The dealer says that its a compression problem and the warranty on my previous repair ended at 100,000. After some swearing at the service advisor, I decided to fix it myself.

I've never really done anything on an engine before, but I'm handy, so I bought a Hayes manual and waited for a nice weekend.

I took off the hood and cleaned the engine good before I stared. The only place I really got stuck was on the two bolts that hold the exaust manifold to the exaust pipe. That took me two days and lots of liquid wrench.

Unfortunely everything looked good as I was disassembling, the gaskets, the intake manifold, and even the cylinder head on the drivers side. I left the passenger side cylinder head on since cylinder 5 in on the drivers side.

I assembled everything back together the next weekend with new gaskets for everything. one of the exhaust manifold to cylinder head studs was stripped, so I have an exhaust leak on the one side. I'm still waiting to get the new studs for that side.

The engine light came on pretty much right away. And my air conditioning would only blow out the defroster holes. Turned out I had two vacuum lines smashed between the upper intake manifold and the fuel rail in the back of the engine.

I fixed the two vacuum lines and now the ODB II codes are P0171 and P0174 Bank 1 too lean and Bank 2 too lean. Supposedly this could be caused by the exhaust leak, we'll see.

Problem is now that I smell coolant when I stop the truck. I don't see anything leaking underneath or on the engine. I followed the Hayes manual instruction for applying RTV when installing the intake and valve cover gaskets. It did talk about putting RTV in some of the bolt holes, but only on 97 and earlier engines.

Any ideas where to look for the coolant leak???

What do you think about the new ODB II codes???

Thanks for any help

Back