2000 4.0 sohc to newer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0 sohc to newer

Helcatt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
Hello
Ive read so many different post on swapping my 2000 Explorer sport 4.0 sohc ( with bad timing chain) To a new sohc engine. But i have yet to see a stright answer or have not seen it yet. But if i swap to a newer sohc and have all my part off of my 2000 will it work without a big hassle? I have bought 4 motors and all had bad timing chains. And what year would be the stopping point. Please help so over this thing.

i understand a 2005 Mustang 4.0 SOHC is a popular choice. you may have to switch over some of the parts form your old engine, but other than that it should work fine. the Mustang engine will not have the 4x4 balance shaft, but that's not a big deal. it will have the upgraded timing chain parts.

what year for improved timing chain items

The improvements to the timing chain related components were incorporated in the 2002 and later models. Contrary to what 2005 and later Mustang owners frequently post, their components are identical to those in the 2002 and later Explorers. As I recall the injector seats in the Mustang differ from the Explorer. Also, there is no crankcase breather on the Mustang like there is on the 2nd generation Explorers. I think the SOHC V6 was used in Explorers and Mustangs thru 2010 and maybe later for the Rangers. The camshaft oilers were deleted in the 3rd generation and later Explorers. Surprisingly, even though there were no production 4WD Mustangs some of the early ones came with the balance shaft engine.

Back