2000 4x4 front end suspension shake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

300k+ trev

Reaction score
City, State
Modesto ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4x4 xlt
Hi, I am experiencing a bad wheel/front end shake on the passenger side only. Happens mainly when going 55+ and turning to the right. Doesn't happen when turning to the left. Doesn't happen when going straight up till about 60+. Making it so I can't drive in the freeway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rotating tires change anything? Sounds like you've got one that's turned into an egg.

Bad hub bearing? Tie rod ends?

Rotating tires change anything? Sounds like you've got one that's turned into an egg.

I had one do that on my driver side and swapped it out then that fixed it, but with this one it feels a lot different. I replaced the hub assembly, and CV axle on that side already. Didn't notice it at all before I changed the hub out. Then thought maybe it was the CV axle. Nope still did it. I was reading on one of the forums on here that it could be from turning the wheel from one side to the other too many times with the engine off causing air to get in the power steering lines.

Yes, air in the rack and power steering lines will cause the steering wheel to shimmy back and fourth rapidly. Happend to me after alignment job. When the tech moved the wheels from left to right with the engine off, air got into the power steering system. I had to bleed the air out of the system by putting the front wheels in the air, starting the engine, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock SLOWLY with the cap to the pump off, this will allow the air to escape from the fluid. Dont make sudden movement to the steering wheel with the pump cap off or fluid will come out.

Yes, air in the rack and power steering lines will cause the steering wheel to shimmy back and fourth rapidly. Happend to me after alignment job. When the tech moved the wheels from left to right with the engine off, air got into the power steering system. I had to bleed the air out of the system by putting the front wheels in the air, starting the engine, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock SLOWLY with the cap to the pump off, this will allow the air to escape from the fluid. Dont make sudden movement to the steering wheel with the pump cap off or fluid will come out.

I did it about 2 hours ago, but without lifting the wheels off the ground. Seemed to help quite a bit still feel it a little though. I'll do it again with it raised up to see if it helps even more. Thanks!!

Back