2000 5.0 Mountaeer AWD motor swap to 99 4.0 Explorer Push-button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 5.0 Mountaeer AWD motor swap to 99 4.0 Explorer Push-button

TazMike

Reaction score
City, State
Cloquet
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Merc Mountaineer V8
Hi out there! I have a 2000 Mountaineer with the 5.0 - AWD that has issues and some shortfalls I do not wish to mess with. I have a line on a 99 Explorer V6(blown) with the push button 4X4 set up (both 4 dr). I would like to know if I can A) "Bolt" in the 2000 5.0 into the 99 and "bolt" onto the existing Transmission? B) "Bolt" in the 2000 5.0 and the AWD Tranny into the 99 and "bolt" onto the existing Axles? C) I'm nuts to do any of this? or D) It's too much work to even start the project?

Any advice, info, etc that anyone can add would be greatly appreciated!

Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A-no, B- yes, c -who here isn't ?, d -you'll need to swap over the computer , dash, and wire harnesses also, so, you have to decide what too much means.

Why not just fix the mountaineer?
A) No the v6 and v8 use different transmissions
B) Yes, you can convert the 99 to a 5.0L AWD using the v8 engine, transmission and AWD transfer case, both front and rear driveshafts, the complete drivetrain wiring harness, computer, pats module and pats key from the v8 donor. The v8 drivetrain will work with your current 99 front and rear axles.
C) not nuts at all, many people here revive these old trucks both V6 and V8. The 5.0L V8 has a big following out there as does the Gen II Explorer (95-2001)
D) What is wrong with the current 2000 V8 Mountaineer that cannot be fixed? It is likely less work.

A-no, B- yes, c -who here isn't ?, d -you'll need to swap over the computer , dash, and wire harnesses also, so, you have to decide what too much means.
Thanks for such for the quick response!

A - No
B - Yes
C - Of Course Not! You want nuts - click my project link below...that's work!...fun work!
D - Fix the 5.0 - it will be much simpler than you think.

B) Yes, you can convert the 99 to a 5.0L AWD using the v8 engine, transmission and AWD transfer case, both front and rear driveshafts, the complete drivetrain wiring harness, computer, pats module and pats key from the v8 donor. The v8 drivetrain will work with your current 99 front and rear axles.
C) not nuts at all, many people here revive these old trucks both V6 and V8. The 5.0L V8 has a big following out there as does the Gen II Explorer (95-2001)
D) What is wrong with the current 2000 V8 Mountaineer that cannot be fixed? It is likely less work.
There are many other issues with the Mounty! I'm looking at the offset of those non-motor related fix costs. I would be using parts I have recently replaced as either part of the initial swap or as a parts bin. Thank you for the quick and detailed response!

A - No
B - Yes
C - Of Course Not! You want nuts - click my project link below...that's work!...fun work!
D - Fix the 5.0 - it will be much simpler than you think.
I'm fairly new to getting more involved with this site. I dont see the link you mentioned :(

You don't need to do anything with the dash except move one pin in the wiring harness.

You can retain either set of keys, as long as you use Forscan to pair them to the computer/PATS module.

Back