2000 8 cylinder wont shift into drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 8 cylinder wont shift into drive

Cuz100

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
as the thread title says my explorer wont shift into drive. goes into reverse fine. dont think its the nss because the suv cranks in park and neutral. thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say it won't shift into drive - does it feel at the lever like it's mechanically going into that position but not moving forward?

When you say it won't shift into drive - does it feel at the lever like it's mechanically going into that position but not moving forward?
its not "clicking" into drive and moving forward at all.

Interesting. I'd go through checking all the shift tube bushings and the torx bolts that hold the shift tube in place. If all that checks out and the problem persists, you can pop the shift cable off the side of the transmission to ensure that it moves smoothly through the detents at that point.

Interesting. I'd go through checking all the shift tube bushings and the torx bolts that hold the shift tube in place. If all that checks out and the problem persists, you can pop the shift cable off the side of the transmission to ensure that it moves smoothly through the detents at that point.
that is beyond my scope of understanding. ill have to get it towed to a mechanic. thanks for your input.

If you can come up with a few basic tools, we could probably walk you through it.

If you can come up with a few basic tools, we could probably walk you through it.
sorry for late response. i got the suv to shift into drive after using more elbow grease than i felt necessary and pressing the O/D button. didnt hear any pop or strange noises. still sure something is amiss here as the gear indicator is squarely on the D but the gear lever is at an awkward angle.

It could be the 2 torx bolts are loose on the shifter mount (quiet common) or it might be that the bushing on the shifter is worn out. You need to investigate (or have someone investigate) both of these possibilities as forcing the shifter into DRIVE will eventually break something and then you wont be going anywhere. Tightening the torx bolts is fairly easy to do, replacing the bushing is more involved.

This video might help you,

Firs part just goes over the indicator adjustment, however,

About 2:15 in he shows the torx headed screws which loosen and cause all sort of issues.

Back