2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 82 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the hat!

How
Many miles/ years can you get from an electric waterpump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the hat!

How
Many miles/ years can you get from an electric waterpump?
Thank you! :D I'm making myself one and a sticker for the back window, lol :D

As for the waterpump.. I'm not sure, though I think they do require occasional maintenance and such. I'm just hopeful they will sell me the retainer ring so I can just swap it in and be on my way! Lol.

Got an email back from Meziere.. they will sell me just the retainer ring with bolts for $33 or the entire pulley assembly (idler, bushing, retainer ring, etc) for $170. He mentioned that if the bearing can spin within the idler piece then it's worn and will cause the new retainer ring to wear out so I told him I'll order the entire setup and play it safe :D

Got my PayPal invoice from Meziere and ordered the replacement parts. Just got FedEx tracking info and if all stays on track it looks like my package will arrive Thursday! :)

New idler assembly came in, looks good. Black instead of gray and seems a little thinner but the weight for the old and new assembly reads as 1lbs 7oz for both :D

20240614-155530.jpg

20240614-155519.jpg

I'll get this instead a little later today and see how it looks :)

Back