2000 Belt Squeak, Change Alternator Bearings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Belt Squeak, Change Alternator Bearings?

abloy

Reaction score
City, State
NW Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
2000 Explorer, SOHC

So, I have this annoying squeaking noise that's either completely new, or was muffled by a bad muffler in the past. Anyway, it occasionally goes away after driving, and is definitely RPM dependent and loud. I tried listening to various things with a piece of garden hose, but couldn't track it down.

So, I pulled the serpentine belt off, and spun some pulleys:

The A/C and PS seemed normal.

The Tensioner and Idler pulleys are a little worn and feel "rumbly" when spun, so its a canidate for replacement as a matter of principal. But they don't make any noise when spun.

There is a little squeak from the alternator pulley when spun. Very little.

The alternator is an obviously recently replaced part, but on a used truck, I honestly have no idea what it is. Best guess is that it is a rebuild, though the previous owner had virtually all maintenece done by a Ford stealership.

I'm temped to get a tensioner/idler/belt from rockauto and replace them, but none of them were actually noisy, and that's $80 in throwing parts at the problem.

On the other hand, the alternator made a tiny bit of squeak, so I could change its bearings out (assuming that it is no harder to work on than a CS GM alternator, etc).

Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

idler pulley. i have the same problem. its like $26 and why not try it.

Are there any special tools needed to to replace the idler and tensioner pulleys?

Special tools or reverse threads?

Anything like that or can I just jump in a do it?

Thanks,

Brian

I have the exact same issue right now. I currently have my serpentine belt off, since I'm going after that dreaded jackshaft chain rattle. Both my idler and tensioner pulleys are loose, but the alternator is what worries me. The bearings are definitely squeaking. Is is possible to service these bearings?

Back