2000 eb explorer 5.0 awd please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 eb explorer 5.0 awd please help

Tooty330

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB
Ok so this issue all started yesterday evening driving down the freeway at 65 and all of a sudden a loud clinking noise erupted from what seemed to be the driver cv axle or wheel bearing got it home replaced both to be safe the issue cleared up 80% before I couldn't drive it without the crazy clunking noise now it gets up to speed but at low speed turning mainly in reverse it has a circular clunking noise I'm lost at this point and advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks

That noise could be from a worn cv on the front drive shaft. Try dropping the front drive shaft, drive a bit to see if the noise goes away. You will have to remove it for good inspection anyway. After removal look closely at the rubber boot, rotate the shaft while stressing the angle and you might discover a tear in the boot.

The noise could be coming from the transfer case, however the usual suspect is the drive shaft itself. There is a kit available to rebuild the cv on the transfer case end.

Beware the truck will slowly roll if it is parked on an incline if the front drive shaft is not installed, so be sure to chock a wheel to prevent this. Also chock the wheels well when you remove the shaft, as the truck may move when it is removed.

I recently had this happen on my daughter's 2000 AWD Mountaineer. Turned out to be the front drive shaft CV joint at the transfer case. Pretty easy repair using Dorman drive shaft CV joint repair kit. Bought one off eBay for under $90. Messy job, but not difficult.

Back