• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ex for parts

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
So sadly my wife wrecked our Ex and it's totaled. Thank God She is ok. It's a 2000 v8 Explorer, Dark Blue exterior and grey interior.
If I find a good body with a bad engine I may swap it over. I'm located south of Raleigh, NC. Let me know if ya'll know of any 2nd Gen bodies in need of an engine. Or if anyone can use some parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks
Glad she is ok
If your looking for a parts truck to fix it
Find a cheap one
I see them on Facebook all the time cheap

Hello from Granville County

Thank donalds, I'll keep my eyes on Facebook. This one is not repairable, she got into a fight with a guard rail and rolled it, so the body damage is pretty bad. Engine and trans is solid though so if I find a nice body cheap I'll consider swapping the engine & trans.

Can anyone confirm which tranny would be in my Ex? it's an 01 v8 RWD. Thanks.

I was under it this weekend and the pan is damaged and split open. The truck still runs so if I don't do an engine swap I plan on babying it to the LKQ yard and get a few hundred out of it, but I'll need to replace that tranny pan.

Can anyone confirm which tranny would be in my Ex? it's an 01 v8 RWD. Thanks.

I was under it this weekend and the pan is damaged and split open. The truck still runs so if I don't do an engine swap I plan on babying it to the LKQ yard and get a few hundred out of it, but I'll need to replace that tranny pan.
4R70W

Find the nicest 99-01 Explorer or Mountaineer that you like, for the best price. That engine and trans will swap into any of those the best, 2WD if you prefer that. The trans has to have fluid always, so replace the pan and fill it up if you have to move it at all.

Lots of V6 SOHC trucks are out there, the SOHC is making those dirt cheap in most places. NC has been a great place to find 2nd gen Explorers.

Been poking around a lot on marketplace. I found a really nice 2000 Mounty v8 with 230k & a 98 Ex v8 with 265k (very close to me).
Haven't found a v6 in good shape near me. Would ya'll be ok with buying & driving one of these with that high of mileage?
I spoke with my friend who's a mechanic and he told me I'd be nuts to try and engine swap in my driveway. I am quite nuts, so that only scares me a little, would have enjoyed an extra pair of mechanics hands that are better than mine.

The mileage isn't too bad to buy those, but it does mean it's likely prior owners neglected some things. That adds cost, such as a new suspension, maybe front hubs etc. Then you also wonder about the water pump age, or the transfer case if it's AWD(people like to let tires wear more at one end or the other(kills the AWD)). So you have to look at any vehicle and think about what things have been left untouched for a lot of years. Taken care of well, these can go for a long long time still.

Been poking around a lot on marketplace. I found a really nice 2000 Mounty v8 with 230k & a 98 Ex v8 with 265k (very close to me).
Haven't found a v6 in good shape near me. Would ya'll be ok with buying & driving one of these with that high of mileage?
I spoke with my friend who's a mechanic and he told me I'd be nuts to try and engine swap in my driveway. I am quite nuts, so that only scares me a little, would have enjoyed an extra pair of mechanics hands that are better than mine.
Is your driveway a 10% grade? Your friend likes to be in the shade inside a garage, maybe some air conditioning, a car lift, pneumatic tools galore. I've done several engine and transmission swaps in the driveway. If you can turn a wrench and put the car back together, doing the job in the driveway is no big deal.

I did mine in a garage, but it can absolutely be done in a flat driveway, as mentioned

I do all the work on my truck in rock driveway lol

I found a truck with some damage, see pics. I'm not concerned about cosmetic, would you have any reservations because of this damage?
Or is there anything specific to look at?
X8Wj2RA&tn=kzXJQncC_tOQYyJJ&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=TPcCuOvB-mcAX-Hs1RA&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Looks better than mine!

I’d hardly even call that body damage.. the grille can be replaced, the dent can be fixed if you really want to. The high mileage is gonna guarantee the aforementioned things will need attention if you want it to drive nice.

As for swapping the engine in your driveway, daylight would give you better lighting than most shops.

I'm still looking for a donor truck and would like some advice from ya'll experienced guys.
- What's the max ya'll would pay for an Ex that you are planning to swap the engine?
- My current v8 has about 130k on it, if I find one with say 250k is it better to maintain the 250k or go through the work of swapping the engine?

I’d pull the good parts from the wrecked Ex…engine, trans, TC, etc and stash them somewhere. Drive the high mileage one. Then when something starts to go, swap in the spare parts. That way you get the most out of everything.

I also wouldn't swap the better engine quickly. If I thought it was needed soon, I'd get it ready, or else I'd take it apart and rebuild it to make it better than new, and ready to go. Doing one to bone stock level could be done for under $1k, depending on the local area, machine shop rates. Going past stock jumps the cost up fast, about double without much upgrading at all. It just goes up from there.

I also wouldn't swap the better engine quickly. If I thought it was needed soon, I'd get it ready, or else I'd take it apart and rebuild it to make it better than new, and ready to go. Doing one to bone stock level could be done for under $1k, depending on the local area, machine shop rates. Going past stock jumps the cost up fast, about double without much upgrading at all. It just goes up from there.
Don, to you're point if it is running ok, I'd like to replace the water pump & timing chain & cover while out of the car and like you said maybe just do a full rebuild.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, time and money, if it's possible do more sooner, it will cost more later.

Back