2000 exp transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 exp transfer case

cmmello

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
Hi My name is Charlie, I need to replace my transfer case on 2000 explorer, I received one from the junk yard, no shifter motor on it but I guess I can use my old one. I see there are two sensors on it are they hard to remove? most of all there is one wire maybe 12/2 size going into the case with a tight rubber boot. that was cut only a 1 /1/2 from the case. what is it for and can I possibly splice it. Thank you all for any help you can give to me. Charlie

The two sensors are easy to remove. After removing the holding screws, just tilt them as you pull them out of the case because the ends are "L" shaped. No wrong way to remove or install.

As for the wire that was snipped...sounds like the brown wire that attaches to the electromagnetic clutch inside. It is important if you want 4 WD. 1 1/2" isn't much to work with...but, it can be spliced.

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated, one other thing could I use permatex gasket maker don't have the gasket from transfer case to tranny

If you use permatex clean both sides with solvent of some sort and apply the permatex to both and let it set up a little bit , usually by the time you get situated with the case ready to reinstall it should be tacky enough , I have been successful with this method , I also often make my own gasket with a roll of gasket material

Back