2000 Explorer: keyless entry system, factory code? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer: keyless entry system, factory code?

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

Eighty51

Reaction score
City, State
Californication
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer for which I do not have the original owner's keyless entry code or the factory code. From the owner's manual it states:

"The factory set code is located:

on the owner's wallet in the glove compartment​
taped to the computer module"​
So there's nothing in the glove compartment that resembles an "owner's wallet" and I don't know where the "computer module" is located because there's nothing like that under the hood. Anyone know where the computer module they're referring to is located? And once a owner sets up a new code is the factory code even valid anymore?​
TIA.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a 5 digit number
Look in the jack storage area
Look way up in there you will find your module and the code printed on the modules label

Door code is on the RAP module. 35737 is the door code on the sample pic.

Good read on keyless: All you need to know about keyless entry

1617838229333.png

1617838662646.png

Thanks, is the antenna lead indicated for the keyless remote FOB system? Can it be disconnected to disable the keyless remote FOB system?

You can unplug the harness to the RAP module.

You can change RAP modules, if you are worried about the factory code being used by someone else. I changed mine due to it failing. I matched the factory part number on my RAP module with one from a junkyard. Swapped, and everything works as it should.

FYI: one of the harness wires might have a yellow tag attached to it showing the part number. It matched in my case, but could be different just to warn you.

I'd like to keep the functionality of the combination keypad but disable the remote control keyfob access because I believe on the 2000 Explorer there are already electronic tools to easily defeat/clone the remote control keyfob access and someone has been remotely locking the doors to my Explorer and setting off the panic alarm. Things have also been stolen from my Explorer when it's been parked on the street -- without any evidence of forced entry.

Dunno difference between my 96 and yours, but on mine, unplugging the RAP module, killed the keyless with the fob, and the keypad...

Thanks, maybe I'll see if there's a way to remove the antenna to the RAP module or, if worse comes to worse, cut it.

It's possible that removing the external antenna only greatly reduces the range and someone standing right next to the vehicle could still trigger it, keeping in mind that while you can test that with your fob, someone with a tool could have one that produces a stronger signal than a fob which is inherently limited by the low 3V battery power source. Then again I could be wrong, if the casing of the RAP module is metal or internally shielded, the antenna opening may be too small for radio RX or could be patched over with metal tape.

I have a 2000 Explorer for which I do not have the original owner's keyless entry code or the factory code. From the owner's manual it states:

So there's nothing in the glove compartment that resembles an "owner's wallet" and I don't know where the "computer module" is located because there's nothing like that under the hood. Anyone know where the computer module they're referring to is located? And once a owner sets up a new code is the factory code even valid anymore?​
TIA.​

I'd like to keep the functionality of the combination keypad but disable the remote control keyfob access because I believe on the 2000 Explorer there are already electronic tools to easily defeat/clone the remote control keyfob access and someone has been remotely locking the doors to my Explorer and setting off the panic alarm. Things have also been stolen from my Explorer when it's been parked on the street -- without any evidence of forced entry.
Just a beer influenced post by me. I’ll try to figure out this tomorrow. If you swap the RAP module, all existing keyless remotes should not work with the replacement RAP module, rendering them useless. So, only have to worry about working remotes from the replacement RAP module, wherever you got that from 🤷‍♂️

The code is printed on back side of the control module in the tire jack compartment. You need a mirror on a stick to read it.

^ or just take a pic with your phone, then you have it for later too.

reading about factory set o4 says the code is on rear passenger panel where seat belt unit is never looked. but did have a chip failure and only 1 key bought used had to have locksmith reprogram and make 2 new keys if you find someone who makes chip keys get 3rd if i had 2 would not need locksmith

TIA.​
The module is in the left quarter panel. Remove the panel on the left side rear and look forward of the opening to see the code. The factory code stays in the module, you can add the second code but the factory code still stays.

It's possible that removing the external antenna only greatly reduces the range and someone standing right next to the vehicle could still trigger it, keeping in mind that while you can test that with your fob, someone with a tool could have one that produces a stronger signal than a fob which is inherently limited by the low 3V battery power source. Then again I could be wrong, if the casing of the RAP module is metal or internally shielded, the antenna opening may be too small for radio RX or could be patched over with metal tape.
The antenna for the RAP is internal to the module. The module has a plastic case. I have never seen one that is external. If you are concerned about the entry, you need to delete/replace all of your fobs. If you think that someone is using the factory keyless entry code you must replace the RAP module. Please, remember that RAP is your antitheft/alarm system. PATS is only able to deny a start. Your RAP module is woven into a group of modules. Your GEM/CTM also known as your BCM, PATS, and your RAP module all need each other to function correctly.

TIA.​
You might find on the jack compartment the keyless code

TIA.​
Is locate on jack compartment keyless code

The antenna for the RAP is internal to the module. The module has a plastic case. I have never seen one that is external. If you are concerned about the entry, you need to delete/replace all of your fobs. If you think that someone is using the factory keyless entry code you must replace the RAP module. Please, remember that RAP is your antitheft/alarm system. PATS is only able to deny a start. Your RAP module is woven into a group of modules. Your GEM/CTM also known as your BCM, PATS, and your RAP module all need each other to function correctly.
You might be right, but then:

1) Why there is an antenna lead shown in the picture toypaseo posted?

2) Most modern plastic cased things that do RF, have metal shielding on the interior, along the signal path at a minimum, until the antenna element. Common example is the wifi routers many of us own.

3) Even if it has an internal antenna, if the casing can be opened non-destructively then the antenna can be disconnected, even if it is just a trace on a PCB and that gets cut with a knife - then soldered back together later if necessary.

Ford has produced RAPs with both internal and external antennas. Here's a pic of one with external, that's what the thick black wire is for.

RAP.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might be right, but then:

1) Why there is an antenna lead shown in the picture toypaseo posted?

2) Most modern plastic cased things that do RF, have metal shielding on the interior, along the signal path at a minimum, until the antenna element. Common example is the wifi routers many of us own.

3) Even if it has an internal antenna, if the casing can be opened non-destructively then the antenna can be disconnected, even if it is just a trace on a PCB and that gets cut with a knife - then soldered back together later if necessary.

Ford has produced RAPs with both internal and external antennas. Here's a pic of one with external, that's what the thick black wire is for.

View attachment 329391
That is wrong generation for the OP's vehicle. Will pop my module and do a picture.

Back