2000' Explorer - Lack of right tail light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000' Explorer - Lack of right tail light

slisman

Reaction score
City, State
Gdańsk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer II
Hello!
I've read many topics and:
1) Started form checking bulb socket - and there is no voltage on onlu right tail light (stop light is working properly).
2) Checked trailer harness - it's not perfect but there is voltage almost everywhere beside right tail light
3) Cut isolation of brown wire to socket (before connection with trailer cable and after this place) - still no voltage.

So I think that there is a problem on brown cable's way. Maybe there are places/connectors to check? I don't suspect multifunction switch as left tail light works properly. I'd be grateful for all advices before disassembling whole interior :)

exp.png

The same circuit supplies power to both the left and the right rear park lamps aka tail lights, and both the brake light and the park lamp use the same ground, so the ground is good if the brake light works.

I agree with your thinking that it is a problem with the brown wire, anywhere from where it splits for the left and right park lights, along the way to the right one. If all else fails it might be as easy to just run a new wire from the left park lamp brown, to the right bulb connector.

I don't know what I am looking at in your picture but it looks a bit like someone has already hacked this circuit up and used those blue, snap-on blade, insulation displacement type taps into the wire which is not ideal for anything exposed to the outdoor environment so I would get rid of those and use proper sealing crimps or soldering and heatshrink tubing, with a glue liner if needed, to seal that.

Attached is the relevant wiring diagram.

Attachments

• exterior-lights-exterior-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 62

The same circuit supplies power to both the left and the right rear park lamps aka tail lights, and both the brake light and the park lamp use the same ground, so the ground is good if the brake light works.

I agree with your thinking that it is a problem with the brown wire, anywhere from where it splits for the left and right park lights, along the way to the right one. If all else fails it might be as easy to just run a new wire from the left park lamp brown, to the right bulb connector.

I don't know what I am looking at in your picture but it looks a bit like someone has already hacked this circuit up and used those blue, snap-on blade, insulation displacement type taps into the wire which is not ideal for anything exposed to the outdoor environment so I would get rid of those and use proper sealing crimps or soldering and heatshrink tubing, with a glue liner if needed, to seal that.

Attached is the relevant wiring diagram.
Thanks for response!
These blue 3M connectors are linking tail lights with trailer tail lights (seems to be dealer OEM assembly, but still non factory).

Running new wire is good idea, but maybe I will try to troubleshoot first :) Thanks for the diagram!

Back