2000 explorer low fuel pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer low fuel pressure

james8026

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
I just bought a pressure gauge and I have less than 10lbs pressure at the rail I am just wondering what pressure I should have and how many filters are there between the tank and the fuel rail. the truck runs somehow but not enough fuel pressure to keep going another question I have is can the fuel pump be weak because I thought if a pump was bad it was just done for and stopped working the fact is it is still pumping just not enough pressure Ive heard the regulator is in the tank and only releases high pressure so its not going to stop fuel. the filter on the frame has been replaced is there anything else im missing that cause low pressure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm surprised it even runs with only 10 psi... fuel pressure on a 2000 model should be around 65 psi at the fuel rail. there is one serviceable fuel filter, mounted on the frame rail (kinda under your left foot) and a sock filter on the bottom of the fuel pump.

i suggest you change the fuel filter first (cheap and relatively easy to do) and see if that makes a difference. if this is the first time you've changed this type of filter, you're in for a fun time. once you learn how it's pretty easy. i see you say it was just changed. was it installed facing the right way?

the 2000 model has a return-less fuel system. the pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly in the tank. like any electric motor, a fuel pump can work intermittently, slowly, not at all, or just not make sufficient pressure.

if changing the fuel filter doesn't get the pressure up, the pump is probably shot. sometimes the hose connecting the pump to the regulator leaks. this can also cause a loss of pressure. if you change the pump make sure you replace the sock filter. you can buy just a replacement pump (i bought an Airtex for around $85 because it came with an electrical pigtail, hose, insulator and clamps.) or you can buy the complete assembly. changing the pump (or the assembly) wasn't to hard to do as long as you don't have rust to deal with. there are only 3 bolts that hold the fuel tank in place. i can give you options and directions if you'd like.

Last edited:

sure thanks for the help and yea any how to would be nice and the filter was changed less than 6 months ago it ran since then im sure its in the correct position just didn't know if there was a smaller filter or valve I was overlooking

If it needs a fuel pump the PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC Part# P2226K from Rockauto is a direct OEM replacement, and it comes with the sock. No splicing, just pull the old one off and install the new one.

As Koda said, it shouldn't even be running at 10 pounds. If anything, nothing more than an idle. What's it run like?

sure thanks for the help and yea any how to would be nice and the filter was changed less than 6 months ago it ran since then im sure its in the correct position just didn't know if there was a smaller filter or valve I was overlooking
Probably you need a new pump and sock filter. I replaced mine with Bosch - it plugged in the existing assy (inside fuel tank). It had a pigtail adapter.

Last edited:

if you decide to replace the pump yourself, PM me and i'll give you instructions on how to do it. as far as which pump to buy, that's up to you. be advised that some pumps have thin electrical terminals and some have wide terminals (my 2000 had the thin ones and it seemed like all the replacement pumps i saw had the wide ones) of course you can always cut and splice wires, but i preferred not to do this and the Airtex pump was the only one i found that came with the pigtail adapter.

Last edited:

if you decide to replace the pump yourself, PM me and i'll give you instructions on how to do it. as far as which pump to buy, that's up to you. be advised that some pumps have thin electrical terminals and some have wide terminals (my 2000 had the thin ones and it seemed like all the replacement pumps i saw had the wide ones) of course you can always cut and splice wires, but i preferred not to do this and the Airtex pump was the only one i found that came with the pigtail adapter.

i replaced my fuel pump 2 years ago. it's acting up again. suggest you buy the best one available. don't yet know which that is but check the filter first! thanks

Some manufacturers won't even give warranty if you didn't replace the pickup filter with the pump.
I bought Bosch one because I trust them didn't want to get in the fuel tank for at least 200k miles...

I have only 40psi of fuel pressure after replacing the pump twice and regulator once. It runs pretty good but lacks power. They have ran ground wire to pump with no luck. It codes lean banks 1 and 2.also replaced cats. The only thing we have not replaced is pcm.Any help would be worth a million dollars to me.

What is the specified fuel pressure for your Sport Trac? As I recall for my 2000 Sport it is 62 psi but it may be different for yours. There are different configurations in the 2001 models. Some fuel pump assemblies have a single outlet port that connects to the fuel filter. Other assemblies have an outlet port that connects to the fuel filter and an inlet port that receives excess fuel from the fuel filter. Both systems have a fuel pressure regulator as part of the intank fuel pump assembly. However, the second system with an outlet and inlet port may use a lower pressure regulator. I'm not familiar with Sport Tracs so don't know the specified pressure. Eventually, around 2004 I think, Ford went to PCM fuel pressure control that uses a module containing a pulse width modulator to control pump speed and a fuel pressure/temperature sensor mounted on the fuel rail. The pressure for that system is about 40 psi. For your system the PCM could be responsible for the lean codes but not for low fuel pressure. Have you reset the inertia switch and swapped the fuel pump relay?

What is the specified fuel pressure for your Sport Trac? As I recall for my 2000 Sport it is 62 psi but it may be different for yours. There are different configurations in the 2001 models. Some fuel pump assemblies have a single outlet port that connects to the fuel filter. Other assemblies have an outlet port that connects to the fuel filter and an inlet port that receives excess fuel from the fuel filter. Both systems have a fuel pressure regulator as part of the intank fuel pump assembly. However, the second system with an outlet and inlet port may use a lower pressure regulator. I'm not familiar with Sport Tracs so don't know the specified pressure. Eventually, around 2004 I think, Ford went to PCM fuel pressure control that uses a module containing a pulse width modulator to control pump speed and a fuel pressure/temperature sensor mounted on the fuel rail. The pressure for that system is about 40 psi. For your system the PCM could be responsible for the lean codes but not for low fuel pressure. Have you reset the inertia switch and swapped the fuel pump relay?
Yes.my system is only one line to fuel filture and has only a fuel dampen on fuel rail.my fuel pressure should be 62 psi is what the ford dealership said it should have.

Back