2000 Explorer - Need advice

marragtop

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
balt, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Explorer 4.0, 4x4, 88k miles. What are the weak points on this year model and what should I be looking for? The owner says it's 4x4, not AWD. Is this possible? I thought by year 2000, they were all AWD, but I can certainly be wrong. How are the transmissions in the 2000s? What else should I be looking for?

Any and all comments are appreciated. thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that in 2000 the V6 Explorers still came with auto 4x4 and the V8 models came with AWD. Maybe you're confusing auto 4x4 with AWD? The first thing that came to mind that you should watch out for is the notorious timing chain rattle if it is a SOHC. The timing chain rattle would should like pinging. Sometimes they make the noise all of the time, sometimes only when cold. So I would make sure that when you test drive it that the engine has not been warmed up.

Thanks, how I can identify if it's SOHC?

Look at the 8th digit of the VIN number. If it's E then it's a SOHC engine, if it's X then it's the OHV engine.

As far as I know, AWD was not an option in 2000 if the vehicle was a V-6, so it's either 2WD or a 4x4. If it's the SOHC, then the timing chain tensioners are definitely a weak point. I had an '01, which is roughly the same vehicle, and I had problems (more than "normal issues") with balljoints (replaced twice in under 40k miles), IAC valve and front swaybar end links.

Transmission should be ok if maintained properly, but definitely add an external cooler. They are temperature sensitive....

Another easy way to tell if it's a SOHC is the black plastic cover on top of the intake manifold. Pop the hood and you can't miss it. It'll say SOHC.

The transmissions in the V6 will kill you to replace all the time I have seen and read the horror stories on them. Thats why I got the V8...Some people will agree with that and some wont.:salute:

I have a 2000 Explorer and I love it! I have a manual trans though, so I can't tell you anything about the auto trans, that being said, I had to replace the ball joints in mine before I hit 100k, and the only other items replaced have been normal wear items. Good luck with you decision.

IAC valve and ball joints as JDraper said!!!! I've had to have them both replaced twice on my truck and it's got 138K on it. Have not had any transmission problems yet, but I'm religeous about changing the fluid every 30-35K.

Back