2000 Explorer needs a fastener for rattling exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer needs a fastener for rattling exhaust

pfnolan

Reaction score
City, State
Bayonne, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4DR XLS
I've noticed my car rumbling louder and then some rattling underneath (whenever I closed the door).
Finally found that my muffler is rattling around because one of the pipes ("intake" side of the muffler) has become unfastened. It looks like something I could repair myself, but I'll be damned if I can name the exact piece that I need to do this.
Can anyone take a look at the attached pics and tell me what I need here? (specifically this fastener/clamp with the spring on it?)

Thanks

2000-Explorerexhaust1.jpg

2000-Explorerexhaust.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The flange is rusted and the pipe pulled through. Look at the pipe, there is a weld near the head of the bolt. Thats where the flange is supposed to be attached to the intermediate pipe.

I just fixed this on my 97. I ended up having to saw the bolts off because they were so warped from the hot exhaust leaking out right on to them. I had to replace the downstream part of the flange because it just crumpled while I was trying to get it off. I grabbed a 2" repair kit from Advanced Auto Parts that clamped right down on to the old weld spots.

Link

I went to home depot and picked up two new bolts/nuts/washers that worked. The springs aren't necessary, Ford did away with them in later models.

OK-- I've gotten all the necessary parts and have attempted to remove the old bolts. Took a lot of effort to get them to turn at all but now it seems that they have been corroded into the nuts. I'm ending up stripping the nuts but they ain't coming off.

Any suggestions on the best and safest way to get the nuts off? PB Blaster first? A "nut-busting" wrench or twist sockets? Hopefully I won't need to torch them off. Thanks.

stucknut2.jpg

stucknut1.jpg

Cut the bolts between the flanges, replace the bolts. You don't have to have the springs. Cars and trucks ran for 75 years without those springs.

Cut the bolts between the flanges, replace the bolts. You don't have to have the springs. Cars and trucks ran for 75 years without those springs.

Absolutely agree! A simple hack saw works though it can be a little ackward. Otherwise a grinder, cut-off wheel, or sawzall on the shaft of the bolt between the flanges will make quick work of them. You can save some fustration by locking a pair of vicegrips on the stud to keep it from moving around while you cut.

Well, I didn't have the right tools or space to cut the bolts myself, but found a friendly neighborhood auto shop that did it for me. Now it looks much better and sounds MUCH quieter. :)

repaired.jpg

Got all the parts from Advance Auto Parts(except for 2 1/2 in x 3/8ths bolts&nuts from Lowes):

Exhaust gasket
Exhaust flange repair kit

Back