2000 Explorer OHV Fuel Pressure Regulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer OHV Fuel Pressure Regulator

ronomac25

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello!

This is my first post to this wonderful website looking for assistance.

2000 Ford Explorer V6 OHV

I am looking to replace my fuel pressure regulator after having several problems with the check engine light. I have diagnosed it to be the fuel pressure regulator and have a question about what kind of part I need.

I understand it to need a PSI of 30-35, but I am having trouble finding the right part. Advance Auto currently has this:

Part No# 4309
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__17350065-P_N3339P_P|GRP2030P____

It states it's not an OE piece of equipment and at a 9-12 PSI.

Can anyone assist me in locating an applicable replacement?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the tank

Starting with 1999 (I believe) the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly located in the fuel tank. The thing on the fuel rail that looks like a regulator is only a damper. Your fuel pressure should be constant at about 60 to 65 psi. There is no return fuel line. Fuel pressure test procedure

It's really in the tank huh? I don't think that's something I will be able on replace on my own...

Thanks for the info and the quick response!!

What is the system fuel pressure?

For the model truck you have it should be 65-72 psi...Minimum pressure would be 55-60 psi...If your pressure is lower than that you probably need a pump instead of a fuel pressure regulator..

In the returnless fuel system, the FPR is in the tank on the sending unit/fuel pump assembly...And the regulator is there to relieve too high pressure not to modulate system pressure as the vacuum operated units on a return type fuel system...

Check the picture...The FPR is indicated by the black arrow and the fuel pump is indicated by the purple arrow...

Attachments

• E2296S-1reg.JPG
    E2296S-1reg.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 10,824

I am getting a reading on the diagnosis tool of 'lean mix in banks 1 & 2'. I have not checked the pressure in the lines yet, but I appreciate the help and pics!!

You probably have intake gasket problem which will give you lean codes P0171 and P0174.

I am questioning the above information now because my Hayne's manual says its on top of the motor on a bracket with a vacuum line coming out of the top.

I uploaded a pic from the passenger side. Note the light gray vacuum line. Is this it? If so, any recommendations where I can order one from? Advance, Auto Zone and JCWhitney don't have any.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/ronomac25/Truck/IMG_20110220_160014.jpg

Dont ever believe what Haynes says!!!! The above info is correct.

The item in your pic is the heater control valve. It allows coolant to flow into the heater core.

X2... why would you think that's your fuel regulator... there doesn't appear to be any fuel lines going near it... but yes the vacuum does operate your heat flow... :).

Thanks guys...The picture of the 4.0L pushrod motor in the Haynes looks similar to this. Perhaps I was hoping it would be, cuz I don't plan on dropping my gas tank to do this...I am still learning a lot!

Back