2000 Explorer Rear Seat Belt Clasp Broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Rear Seat Belt Clasp Broken

MikeC103

Reaction score
Any idea on how to repair the rear seat belt clasp? The black plastic surround slipped down and the spring etc is broken. It doesn't look very easy to replace the whole unit. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you go the junk yard route DO NOT buy a seat belt from a front hit or a roll over.
The reasosn should be obvious.

So basically I need to replace the entire bench section of the back seat to fix the seat belt - is that correct?

There are two sets of "clasps" for the back seat. There's the one with two clasps, and the other with one clasp and the seat belt for the middle seat.

I assume that installation/removal varies depending on the model year, but for the second gens, you definitely do NOT have to replace the whole seat. If you fold the back seats down, you can lift up the flap behind them (where the jack handle is stored on mine) and access the bolts holding them on. Easy to replace, just make sure you get a replacement that's fully functional.

Yes - I have done that but but it seems like the back of these bolts have been welded on or something. The one I am trying to fix is the one with two clasps without the belt. It is attached to a bracket which is attached to the florr with two bolts.

yeah dude sorry for the misunderstanding i thought you meant the spring to fold your seat down, anyway you might need a torx bit which can be bought from an auto parts store but if they seem welded then you might need to get your hands on a welder but i doubt they are seeming that these could break i doubt ford would make a weld.

you need to replace thw whole assembly bracket and all.

I assume you mean the piece with the two buckles on it. I believe that is welded in place. Just hoping there was an easier solution. Thanks!

well i just checked mine and its not welded, it looks like it is butits not its held on by bolts. i have a '98 so i dunno if theres a difference between the two or not

Thanks - I looked at mine again also. It is held on with two bolts to the floor but then it is connected to the seat with some strange looking nut which aloows it to swivel back and forth so that the seat can fold forward. How can you remove those?

i dunno, ima have to look at mine again tomarow and ill get back to ya

Back