2000 Explorer Rough Idle

Anthony17

Reaction score
City, State
Radford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey all,
So I've been trying to track down the rough idle issue with my 2000 Explorer EB. I think I need to replace the IAC valve. What it does is in the morning at initial start-up, the idle sits low and is erratic (jumps between 400-1100) and it slightly shakes the vehicle because of the low idle, and the gauge lights will flicker. After about 20-30 seconds, it resolves itself and goes up to about 2000 for a couple seconds then returns to the correct rpm. I had the electrical system checked at advanced auto thinking it might be the battery or alternator, but all the readings were good. Checked the battery grounds and connections, those are good too.
So yesterday I cleaned the IAC valve and connector (very grime-y and black) and I didn't really notice a difference during the day. Usually the idle is pretty rough throughout the day but not like it is in the morning. This morning after the cleaning, I noticed it didn't do the violent shaking. It still had rough idle but it wasn't nearly as bad. Does that sound like a bad IAC valve? I hear no whistles or moose calls from it. I tried to check for vacuum leaks, but these symptoms don't seem like a vacuum leak to me, that would cause a high idle in my experience. But no vacuum leaks from what I could initially find.
I also checked the MAF sensor and it looks clean to me (had no MAF cleaner). I cleaned the throttle body and valve, as I had a sticky gas pedal, and that was resolved. I also have no idea if the upper and lower manifold gaskets were replaced or are OEM. Again, doesn't seem like a gasket/leak issue because of how erratic the idle. Seems okay when the vehicle is warmed up as well. Any thoughts/testing I can do? I tried to do a TPS and MAF sensor test with a voltmeter but I think mine is too much of a cheapy to sense the low output readings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the tps sensor?

I tried to unbolt the TPS sensor, but the phillips screws are stuck. Maybe I'll try some PB blaster. I will also properly check the voltage later when I get home for both the MAF and TPS sensor, as I was doing it wrong yesterday.

Codes? Also sounds like your IAC. go to junkyard get 2 pay for one because they are common failures so you don't know if one is working correctly from junkyard or buy a new IAC

No codes, except my check engine came back on after it went away yesterday. It's the O2 sensor again. When I replaced the fuel filter it went away, but it came back, so I'm not sure if it's broken and temporary came back or what is with that. But I tested the voltage on the TPS and MAF and I got the exact readings I should be getting with those (according to the test procedure threads on here). So those are ruled out. I then tried to expose a vacuum leak, but to no avail. All the hoses look good and no RPM change with spray. So, I'm 95% sure it's IAC valve. I will buy a new Hitachi on Amazon and hopefully that will resolve the issue. Now to deal with the rattle that I hear....

Back