2000 Explorer Sport front wheel noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport front wheel noise

Explordinary

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I just replaced both front hub assemblies on my 2000 Explorer Sport(4.0 SOHC)

I had been having a lot of road noise, roaring coming from the wheels/bearings on the front, so I changed out both sides. That helped a lot, but I'm still getting some noise on the left side whenever I turn right. It's a roaring sound like you'd get from a hub & bearing assembly going bad, but I just replaced both passenger and drivers side assemblies.

What else could it be? I don't think it's the cv joint, that would make more a clicking/clacking sound.

I noticed, when I was putting the driver's side caliper back on I loosened the bleeder and put clamps on the pistons to push them back in, one of them didn't seat all the way against the back of the caliper; do you think maybe that could be where the noise is coming from?

The shocks need to be replaced on this vehicle, and the drive shaft CV joint on the shot shaft as well.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you've ruled out CV's sounds like you STILL have a hub/bearing issue. Does the rotational "roar" change with speed? Seat caliper? :scratch:

That's definitely a bearing noise.

It sounds like a hub, but I just replaced both front hub assemblies 2 days ago.

If you've ruled out CV's sounds like you STILL have a hub/bearing issue. Does the rotational "roar" change with speed? Seat caliper? :scratch:

It's a little louder with higher speed, but I only get noise when turning right.

I tightened the bolts down bit by bit going from one to the next snugging them down a little at a time, and I torqued the spindle nut to 184 ft-lbs.

What are the chances that the hub assembly came from the parts store with a defect?

Seat caliper? :scratch:

Lol, yes, the caliper has two pistons in it, one of them pushed in till it was flush with the caliper, but the other one was still protruding about 5/8" or so.

I'm wondering if maybe it's the part of the brake pad on that piston rubbing the rotor when I turn right.

I can't find any information on the calipers, so I don't know whether or not the one piston is supposed to protrude that far. I couldn't get it to go all the way flush like the other one no matter how hard I tried.

I took the thing for a test ride about 6 miles on a curvy road, then I used a laser thermometer to check temp of both sides, they were very close, so it's not hanging. Maybe just rubs enough to make noise.

Brand new hubs have been known to be defective right out of the box, especially cheap knockoffs. If you opened the bleeders to install the pads, BOTH pistons should have bottomed out in the caliper bores. You may have a binding caliper piston. When they stick almost always cause excessive heat and make the sound of dragging brake pads, not a "roaring" noise as you describe. Did you clean and lube ALL the brake slider pins and hardware? I'd remove the noisy wheel and check everything again, I'm still betting on hub bearing issues.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1233306pdf?$PDF$

A caliper would make noise all the time, not only when you turn.
When you turn, the only thing that gets extra load is the bearing inside the hub. Everything else should stay "put" in the same position.

The noise you are describing is the same as mine. I had this happen on the left side about 2 years ago and it was the axle bearing (where your inner CV slides into the axle center section). My wheel bearings were fine. I was able to replace the seal and bearing on that side in the car and the noise went away. I am now doing it on the right side because it has slowly come back over the last few months. I put the whole rig up high on jack stands and ran it in gear at speed. The one on the right side is making noise, as well as the pinion bearing to a lesser extent. I have another post asking questions about pulling that one.

The noise you are describing is the same as mine. I had this happen on the left side about 2 years ago and it was the axle bearing (where your inner CV slides into the axle center section). My wheel bearings were fine. I was able to replace the seal and bearing on that side in the car and the noise went away. I am now doing it on the right side because it has slowly come back over the last few months. I put the whole rig up high on jack stands and ran it in gear at speed. The one on the right side is making noise, as well as the pinion bearing to a lesser extent. I have another post asking questions about pulling that one.

I was thinking maybe it might be the pinion bearing, cause there's a small leak between the yoke and pinion.

Were you able to change that without pulling the gears out of the differential?

Back