2000 Explorer Sport - No Clutch Pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport - No Clutch Pressure

Samantha Teague

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hello. This morning my boyfriend told me he could not get into reverse or out of first gear, therefore he did not drive the explorer to work. When I got into the vehicle I noticed that the clutch went all the way to the floor with no resistance and I couldn't get into any gear. I checked the clutch fluid reservoir to find that it was completely empty. I bought some dot 3 brake fluid to fill the reservoir to the top expecting it to gulp down a lot of fluid and it only gulped down about an inch. Still cannot get into gear... do I need to bleed the air out? Thanks so much!

At minimum, you'll need to bleed the system, which is not easy to do right. Search here or Google and read up on it.
But if you have no pedal and the fluid was low, there's a problem somewhere that bleeding may not solve. The most common failure in the clutch system is the slave cylinder, which is 'inside' the transmission.

RangerX is right, most likely there is a leak. When I have to bleed my clutch, I pull the clip out of the top of clutch master cylinder and lift the push rod up till fluid comes out, then put it back together. make sure the reservoir stays full or you will get more air into the system. I got the idea from a video I found on youtube.

Back