2000 Explorer Sport - Repace Rear Wheel Bearings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport - Repace Rear Wheel Bearings?

ford4joe

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, Pennslyvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I've had wheel humming noise coming from my truck for about 2-3 months now. While I was getting some front suspension work done, I had both front wheel hub assemblys replaced and yet the sound remains.

So I want to replace both rear wheels bearings (my truck is almost at 150k, I might as well replace both while I'll be at it. ) My question is what bearings should I buy? Both auto parts store around me didn't seem to have them available, and online, i keep seeing bearings with different measurements, inside and out. Also, do I need a special tool to remove with?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only know of a replacement bearing and a repair bearing. The repair bearing moves where the bearings ride on the axle. And they're usually more expensive.

I've had wheel humming noise coming from my truck for about 2-3 months now. While I was getting some front suspension work done, I had both front wheel hub assemblys replaced and yet the sound remains.

So I want to replace both rear wheels bearings (my truck is almost at 150k, I might as well replace both while I'll be at it. ) My question is what bearings should I buy? Both auto parts store around me didn't seem to have them available, and online, i keep seeing bearings with different measurements, inside and out. Also, do I need a special tool to remove with?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

This is a fairly major job. You have to open up the differential and take out some parts to get the c-clips off the inside end of the axles so you can pull each axle out of the axle tube on each side. The bearings press into the outside end of the axle tube; you will need a bearing puller with a slide hammer to remove them. You can usually rent/borrow these at Advance or Auto Zone.

Since you have to open the differential, all of the lubricant willl come out; plan to replace it with new. THEREFORE, before you even start this job, make sure that you can break loose the fill plug on the side of the differential. Real bummer to get everything apart, then back together, and THEN discover that you can't replace the differential oil!!!

Thanks for the replies. Well... that seems abit over my head, I could do it, but I'd feel better if I just had my mechanic do it. That said, how long can I ride on the bad bearings? I do about 5-10 miles per day, so not alot of wear, but I don't think I'll have the kind of cash necessary to do this repair quite yet.

Don't know what the mechanic will charge you, but you will most likely need the repair bearing kit. If you keep running it, you will definately need the repair kit, and maybe new axles also.

You'll also have to replace the seals. Once you get done it doesn't seem that bad. Hardest part was using a gear lube pump on top of a bottle to refill the dif. 45 minutes later and a sore arm it was finally full

Back