2000 Explorer Washer Pump questions.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Washer Pump questions..

cincydru

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS
hello all. i searched the forums but couldnt find the answer :(

here it goes:

i have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS. I'm trying to get things fixed before i go back to finish my training for the Army National Guard in a few weeks for my wife so she doesnt have anymore problems with it..

So plz respond asap if you can i would greatly appreciate it.

the front washer pump doesnt spray any fluid out. there is fluid in the tank. when we press the spray button, nothing sprays out and you cant even hear the noise the pump makes when spraying or activating. the wipers move of corse, but nothing comes out. what steps should i take , where is the fuse for the washer pump located exactly? (no owners manuel)

ONE MORE THING:

what is the correct gap for spark plugs? i think i may have gapped cyl 4 wrong b/c i get this cyl 4 misfire code....

------------ I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP-------------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pump is usually attached to the washer jar in all the vehical I maintain. Pull the plastic jar and check the pump motor. It usually the motor gone from corrosion. You can meter the plug if you like and have someone push the button inside and will likely get the 12v while pushed. The other way is to appy 12v to the pump from the battery but it can be tricky with the two leads close together.

Assuming you have the 4.0, .054 inch for both the 4.0 L OHV and the 4.0 L SOHC engines. You problem could also be the plug wire. Switch it with another cylinder and see if the mis-fire code moves.

Assuming you have the 4.0, .054 inch for both the 4.0 L OHV and the 4.0 L SOHC engines. You problem could also be the plug wire. Switch it with another cylinder and see if the mis-fire code moves.

i have the 4.0 SOHC... so i take the cyl 4 wire and switch it with another one to see if the problem exhists? that simple?

ok so yesterday i was able to take out cyl 4 and check to see if it was gapped right.. its gapped right too. doesn't look bad at all neither. so next step is to be at autozone with the code scanner tool so i can erase it and switch cyl 4 wire with another one to see if it still misfires or if the code moves to cyl 5 for example...

anymore suggestions on the washer pump? or would you say 100% its the pump itself. any how-to's to remove / replace the pump?i have

You should check to see if you have power to the washer pump connector. If you have power, then the pump is probably bad (assuming the ground is good). If no power, then the problem may be the multi-function stalk or a fuse/relay. Start by checking to see if you have power to the pump with a test light/multi-meter.

hello all. i searched the forums but couldnt find the answer :(

here it goes:

i have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS. I'm trying to get things fixed before i go back to finish my training for the Army National Guard in a few weeks for my wife so she doesnt have anymore problems with it..

So plz respond asap if you can i would greatly appreciate it.

the front washer pump doesnt spray any fluid out. there is fluid in the tank. when we press the spray button, nothing sprays out and you cant even hear the noise the pump makes when spraying or activating. the wipers move of corse, but nothing comes out. what steps should i take , where is the fuse for the washer pump located exactly? (no owners manuel)

ONE MORE THING:

what is the correct gap for spark plugs? i think i may have gapped cyl 4 wrong b/c i get this cyl 4 misfire code....

------------ I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP-------------------------

Check for posts by me on this topic in other areas or search "divine intervention". I had the same problem, checked and found no voltage at the motor - which means check the relay in engine bay ( mine was bad) but also had a bad multifunction switch (turn signal, washer, wipers) too. The later was fixed at no cost by playing with it a bit. The switch gets dirty and then the pump contacts don't work. The button supplies power to the relay under the hood, when pressed allowing a greater amount of power to go to the washer pump. I fixed the MF switch by pressing the button in and moving it to each position High, Low, and each interval area and wiggling it back and forth. this appears to clean the dirt off and allow it to pass the power again when you press it. Good luck and thanks for serving the USA.

Back