2000 Explorer wont idle when cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer wont idle when cold.

crd783

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
My 2000 explorer wont idle when its cold but after the first start of the day its fine. Everyone I have talked to says its the IAC but I have replaced it but still have the problem. I need to get this fixed since it is my wifes vehicle. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome that sux bout ur x

Welcome aboard. Do a search for 00M12. Its a ford recall for bad gaskets on the intake manifold. The gaskets shrink overnight while they are cold and the seal is no good anymore so the idle goes bad. Once the car warms up the gaskets expand back to the correct size and form a good seal and give a steady idle.

00m12

My 2000 explorer wont idle when its cold but after the first start of the day its fine. Everyone I have talked to says its the IAC but I have replaced it but still have the problem. I need to get this fixed since it is my wifes vehicle. Can anyone help?

How come none of the ford dealers have heard of the 00m12 kit?

Changed intake gaskets runs like new.

Same vehicle, same problem

My wife's has this list of things already done:

both O2 censors
IAV
Upper intake gaskets
MAS taken apart and cleaned
new plugs/wires

I examined each intake gasket as they were removed, I found no evidence of cracks/holes. They also appeared to fill the grooves they sit in properly. When compared with the new ones, the only difference I could find was that they old ones were a little less flexible.

I also sprayed carb cleaner on the engine while it was running to check for vacuum leaks. The rough idle never changed, which leads me to believe that I do not have a leak.

any thoughts?

Intake gaskets

I changed both upper and lower intake gaskets along with the engine coolant temp. sensor, and idles like brand new. My upper gaskets were fine but the lowers were leaking between the ports. I bet if you put lower intake gaskets on it will fix the problem.

I changed both upper and lower intake gaskets along with the engine coolant temp. sensor, and idles like brand new. My upper gaskets were fine but the lowers were leaking between the ports. I bet if you put lower intake gaskets on it will fix the problem.

Thanks CRD...

I think this is going to be where our problem was. Once I was able to inspect the gaskets, I thought to myself... Woah, this has got to be it. The gaskets were so stiff, it almost felt like they were brittle as I was removing them.

I just finished the job, and proceded to move the rig out of the garage to let it "cool off" for a few hours. I'm hoping that sitting outside for a while will simulate a cold start. (I should hope it does, it's a balmy 17 degrees here today) They're forcasting a low of +4 tonight, so I guess in the morning, is when the real test will come.

Here's a couple photos of what it looked like when I pulled the lower intake off... I'm guessing the mouse nest is optional. LOL

Just for reference, this vehicle is a 2000 with the 4.0 SOHC in it.

DSCN1398.jpg

Note, in the photo below, the brownish/greyish rings... those are the gaskets. See how the inside (towards the middle of the manifold) and the outside (towards the edge of the manifold) of each gasket looks different? This must be where the engine was sucking air.

DSCN1401.jpg

Here's the lower, with the new gaskets installed.

DSCN1404.jpg

I'm pretty confident that I've found the problem. Again, thanks to everyone that weighed in on this topic.

Mike De

Just glad I could help.

You did,my friend.

I just stopped in to announce that the gasket fix passed the "7 degrees above 0 test" this morning. I'm glad the problem was taken care of... They're forcasting highs in the single digits for this week. That wouldn't have been any help for an engine that's sucking that much air on start-up.

Wife is happy, that means everyone else is happy too. She loves that her Explorer is back to running/performing the way it did when we got it.

'nuff said.

Mike De

How come none of the ford dealers have heard of the 00m12 kit?

They ALL have... If the parts guy is clueless (which many are) tell them to have a service person look up TSB 00M12. All the info is there... The parts guys are just morons.

You did,my friend.

I just stopped in to announce that the gasket fix passed the "7 degrees above 0 test" this morning. I'm glad the problem was taken care of... They're forcasting highs in the single digits for this week. That wouldn't have been any help for an engine that's sucking that much air on start-up.

Wife is happy, that means everyone else is happy too. She loves that her Explorer is back to running/performing the way it did when we got it.

'nuff said.

Mike De

Glad she's back up and running. :)

-Joe

I just did this operation on my 2000 Explorer with 60K miles, with the same successful results. And thanks for the pics!

Glad the pics helped!

My last question on this project is this: Are the new gaskets going to do the same thing down the road, like the stock ones did, or are the new ones made from a different material to fight this problem? I realize that there will probably be 40,000 or more miles (hopefully) before another problem comes up, but I was just curious.

Shouldn't... I haven't heard of anyone with that issue. They're a different material than the originals, so they should last.

-Joe

This sounds very much like my prob, how long did it take you to just check them. Mines done 170 000klms which is just over 100 000 miles & is just starting the rough start-up idle when cold, goes alright after 50 or 60sec. Also would this affect fuel consumption?

p.s. cold here being around the 20 degree celsius. :p:

This sounds very much like my prob, how long did it take you to just check them. Mines done 170 000klms which is just over 100 000 miles & is just starting the rough start-up idle when cold, goes alright after 50 or 60sec. Also would this affect fuel consumption?

p.s. cold here being around the 20 degree celsius. :p:

If you're going to pull it apart to inspect it, spend the money and pick up a gasket set. I dropped under $20 (US) for the full set... upper and lower. It took me about 2 hours total (maybe 3 if you have never done it before). You'll be happy you did.

Don't make the mistake I did... I just replaced the upper gaskets first. Then when I found that didn't help the problem, I had to take it all back apart and do the lowers as well. If you already have the upper intake (also refered to as the 'plentum') off, it's only 12 more bolts and the lower is off too.

Our Explorer has almost 100,000 miles on it. Wife did notice better fuel economy since all gaskets were replaced. She also reports better throttle responce too.

Our "rough idle" when the engine was cold would last for more like 5 minutes or so. Maybe your gaskets aren't as bad as mine were.

Good luck, let us know what you found!

I had the same problem on my 2000 Eddie...with sohc. Replaced my upper and lowers and it runs like a true ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back