• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer won't start

Bruce1978

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I have a 2000 Explorer with a 4.0 ohv that wont start. Been sitting most of the summer and I went to start it about 2 weeks ago and it had a dead battery. Charged the battery and got it started, let it run for about an hour to finish charging the battery. Went to start it today and would crank but wouldn't start. Battery ran down again so I put the charger on it again. Sprayed ether into the intake line and tried to start but no luck. Battery will crank for about 10-15 seconds before slowing. Also, would not charge over 88%. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad Battery For Sure

You definitely need a new battery first. Check for spark and get fuel pressure readings. If they are good pull any codes that may be present. You did not say how many miles are on this car but that has bearing on possible issue.

Radman,
Explorer has 204,000 miles. I'll try a battery from my other explorer and see if there is any change. Do you think fuel pressure is an issue if starting fluid didn't help? For what it's worth, I have new plugs and wires. I'll put my code reader to see if it picks up anything. Thanks for your input.

I'm wondering if this could be a timing issue. The rubber in the crankshaft damper looks cracked and slightly bulged, making me wonder if the outer part spun from the inner part, putting the engine out of time. I haven't yet checked for spark but that is what I'll probably check next. Thoughts?

Update...pulled #5 plug yesterday to check for fire. Had my wife crank the engine and it started right up. Replaced plug and started and ran fine. I'll have to keep an eyenon it.

Back