• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Won't start

Mark C.

Reaction score
City, State
Carrsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer, XLT, AWD
So let me tell you'll what I've done so far. First I've checked the battery and there is plenty of juice. The lights dim and I hear a click inside so I assumed it's not the ignition switch. The relay in the under hood fuse box clicks when I try to start. I've switch around the three like relays in the fuse box and it changes nothing. I keep reading that there is a ignition starter relay mounted near the battery, even found part online, but I'd be damned if I can find it. Traced wires from the starter and they go directly to the fuse box and the battery, no relay. I've also tried the old "tap the soilonoid" trick and nothing. I also don't feel or hear anything at the starter when I try to turn it over. Soooo, it's got to be the starter right? It's 17 years old so that would make a lot of sense. Just a pain in the ass to remove from what I've read.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a 2000 there is no fender mounted starter solenoid. It's located on the top of the starter motor. Either the solenoid, or it's cable/wires are not making a good connection at the starter or the starter solenoid is bad. There's a short braided cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter. This cable tends to eventually corrode away, but as you're not hearing the starter solenoid click, it's not working for whatever reason. If you verify that power is getting to the solenoid most people would just buy a new starter. If it's even available, I don't see the point of replacing just the solenoid on a 18 year old starter.

There should be a fuse & relay diagram in your owners manual. On my '98, in the power distribution box under the hood there is one big 50A "Ignition switch, starter relay" fuse, and a starter relay.

You can use a multimeter there measuring for power in and out at both (out of relay with key in start position obviously), and measure for power on the smaller wire going from that box to the starter solenoid while an assistant is turning the key. If there is power going out that wire then it can only be a break or short in the wire between that point and the solenoid, corroded connection at the solenoid, or the solenoid itself, so typically a starter replacement needed.

2011-10-11_044821_explorer_fuse_panel.jpg

Hope this helps

Oh. I almost forgot. even if you think the battery terminals are clean, check them again. These trucks are real picky about this.

Oh. I almost forgot. even if you think the battery terminals are clean, check them again. These trucks are real picky about this.

and check the wiring inside the terminals...

Back