2000 Ford Expl 4.0 SOHC motor SWAP to 93 Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LegionDirtCrew

Reaction score
City, State
Somerton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford ranger EDDIE B
Hello i am new to this Forum and looking for advice from y'all gurus.
I bought a complete 2000 explorer 4.0 sohc eddie baure eddition 2wd.

-I will be doing a complete motor, trans, PCM and harness swap from this explorer to a 93 Ranger and looking to get away with not using the steering column off the explorer on my swap which includes the gear display and key switch. The ranger is an off-road truck and has aftermarket dash and autometer gauges with an aftermarket key switch. Only thing stock on it is the 4.0 ohv and manual trans with the harness and ECM.

-I have sent my PCM to get tuned and have the PATS deleted. Does anyone know if getting the PATS deleted will eliminate me from using the everything on the steering column? The neutral safety switch, a purge sensor for emissions, purge valve solenoid, all 4 doors were removed prior me buying the whole thing.

-Hoping to remove all the emissions or bypass. Maybe the tuner guy can help me with that. Any ideas? This is for a off-road truck and the less crap from the swap the better but i dont want it running rough ither.

-Is this the gen that it wants to automatically shift on its own? Wanting to do a aftermarket shifter like Art Carr or B&M which I read a thread on it here.
*Also looking for recommendation on a shifter kit that helps this OEM tranny run alot better. From what I heard there are a few flaws with what i believe is the 5r55e and somewhere read about a shift kit to make the tranny run better and smoother.

welcome to EF!
That is quite a project you have there
I have done similar, I have a 1988 Bronco II running a 1997.5 V8 5.0 conversion and computer controlled transmission, full OBD2 conversion
However I kept mine all stock "ish" as far as the computer is concerned it is a 97 Mountaineer. I kept all emissions controls and equipment and fooled the PCM 100% to think it is still in the mounty. No tune needed.

The PATS system found in a 99 Explorer can be adapted into your 93 Ranger, or you can delete it with a tune

Yes you can keep your 93 steering column. The 99 column would not fit anyways nor would the controls work with your 93 ranger

For my conversion I used a floor shifter from a 96 Mustang and I filed the gates so that the shifter will lock into 1st and 2nd, not allowed to shift on its own

I also am using a Autometer speedometer and tachometer that work with the 97 computer...the 1988 speedo wanted a speedometer cable and the tach never worked with the v8 properly.. Your 99 transmission does not have the VSS speed sensor mounted in the tail housing like your 93 Ranger dash wants to see. You will have some work to do here whether you try to make the 93 instrument cluster work or go all aftermarket

You will also need to add a OBD2 port to your dash, it is not that difficult, but make sure you get the parts you need from your 99 donor

You have LOTS of wiring to do on the truck side of things. In 1993 the ranger uses the "BWP" also known as the big white plug, this is where all the wiring goes into the cab below th e brake booster. This will be where most of the magic happens for you, where you will integrate the stripped down 99 harness and mate it to the 93 truck signals

You will need the wiring books for the 99 and for the 93

How far have you gotten thus far?
Have you seen the other vehicles on this forum that are Gen I trucks running Gen II SOHC engines? There are quite a few of them these days....

Back