2000 Ford Explorer 4.0sohc engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer 4.0sohc engine swap

pmactoob

Reaction score
City, State
herrin il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
My 2000 Ford explorer. Recently had a setback after 275,000 miles the timing chains finally went out instead of scrapping the vehicle I decided new engine so I need you guys input on what all I should do I am replacing it with the stock 4.0 sohc. any problems you may have encountered

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will post pic when I an able as of right now the new engine is ordered and on its way some of the new items im going with is
1. block heater
2.new harmonic balancer
3.new injectors
4. new motor mounts
5. clean up the motor well
6 new front pump seal (tranny)

Will you be updating this thread with your progress? I'd like to see what's involved.

What was your maintance history with the timing chains to get to 275,000 miles. How long were you in the "death rattle". I'm at 160,000 with my 98 SOHC and was hopping to make it to 200,000 with my light rattle at start up. Your post gives me hope.

the maintenance of the car was great it was a state police car so all the records came with it the rattle was slight at first but it got worse right before it went out it got really bad at start up almost sounded like a lifter tick the oil pressure was flickering back and forth one thing i can say is there was no Teflon left on any of the front chains and it never skipped time thank god

Back