2000 Ford Explorer Limited V8 AWD Brake Refresh | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Limited V8 AWD Brake Refresh

dinanm3atl

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Limited V8
Couple of questions here on the wife's Explorer. I am a BMW guy and do all my own work and of course the wife's Explorer has to be the rare breed with the 5.0 and the AWD so it appears for SOME manufacturer brake rotors have different front brake rotor fitment/part number but others just say 'front' or 'all 5L N/A'.

So are ALL front brake rotors the same fitment? Are all rear brake rotors the same fitment?

It is a basic, stock Explorer. Wife drives it to and from work which is 10 miles round trip with no highway. I tow a BMW racecar with it a couple times a year. Any pad recommendations?

Where is everyone buying basic replacement parts? In the BMW world I know exactly where to go but for the Ford I have no idea!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hit post on accident. Are the front calipers also 100% the same for AWD vs RWD/4WD? Same for the rear?

It's very hard to beat RockAuto.com. Even when you just purchase 1 or 2 items, it's still usually cheaper with shipping. Checkout the vendor section and you'll find a discount code in the RockAuto thread.

As far as recommendations go, I usually try to stick with OE parts. In the case of Ford, it's Motorcraft. However, with that being said, there are many other manufacturers that produce high quality replacement parts. As far as brake pads are concerned, I'm sure you'll recognize some of the names of the performance pads from your experience with BMW.

It's very hard to beat RockAuto.com. Even when you just purchase 1 or 2 items, it's still usually cheaper with shipping. Checkout the vendor section and you'll find a discount code in the RockAuto thread.

As far as recommendations go, I usually try to stick with OE parts. In the case of Ford, it's Motorcraft. However, with that being said, there are many other manufacturers that produce high quality replacement parts. As far as brake pads are concerned, I'm sure you'll recognize some of the names of the performance pads from your experience with BMW.

Yes I have recognized some brands.

What about the rotor/caliper fitment for AWD vehicles? Same as RWD/4WD?

The AWD/4x4s share the same part numbers for front rotors. The same goes for their rear rotors. The 2WDs, on the other hand, have different part numbers. They all share the same part numbers for calipers and pads.

Awesome. That is what I thought I was finding but trying to make sure I was correct.

It seems from how the pads are wearing when I pad slapped it a couple years ago that the driver front is dragging as it is 1/2 the thickness of the other 3 sets of pads. Probably put a full set of calipers, pads and fresh rotors on her.

I forget from doing work on it. The 2000 doesn't have the damn hub/bearing/brake assembly all as one like the original body style. I remember in shop class doing a friend's 1994 XLT 4WD and it was a huge pain in the ass to put a new brake rotor on it. Could be remembering it wrong though :)

The 2WD's are harder than the 4wd/awds. The bearings are built into rotor so you have to repack them and get new grease seals with the 2wd (front).

4wd/awd. Unbolt, replace, rebolt.

The front brakes are a cake walk remove the tire, unbolt the caliper bracket (torque spec is over 100ft/lbs. pull off the old rotor, and reverse the process to put it back together. The rear brakes suck the rotor also serves as the brake drum for the emergency brake, and the rotor will catch the e-brake shoes when your trying to pull it off. There is a rubber boot on the back of the dust shield remove that and there is a star wheel that you use to back the shoes off to remove the rotor.

Back