2000 Ford Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Limited

B. Wheeler

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Limite
So I'm new here and have been going through the car eliminating the "could be" for my blower motor.
Here's the problem- the front vents get no air, defrost gets a bit once the car is warmed up but not what I would consider true moving air.

Rear vents work great, which is good since mornings are getting chilly!
Diaphragm moves fine, thought I had a vacuum leak when one hose was loose so pushed it back together and taped it up.

There were a couple loose connections in behind the glove box so I pushed them back together (will be taking them completely apart in a bit to check for dust and corrosion.
I can hear it turn on but nothing happens.

I have not checked the resistor, wasn't sure if I needed to since it is trying to turn on.....
I hope someone out there can help because the hubster is getting frustrated because he hears me out there cussing and thinks I have hurt myself when it's just the car annoying me!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the EATC,(electronic digital read out), unit or the manual? The limited usually came with the eatc units and it sounds like the blower motor control unit, which is in the same place as the resister on the manual units. It is an easy job to fix, take you maybe 15-20 minutes.
Loquetus

I'd check the blower motor control unit, it comes with the EATC units, had this issue on my 01, didn't like the colder mornings.

Do you have the EATC,(electronic digital read out), unit or the manual? The limited usually came with the eatc units and it sounds like the blower motor control unit, which is in the same place as the resister on the manual units. It is an easy job to fix, take you maybe 15-20 minutes.
Loquetus
I have the manual, I will read it again and look for what you are talking about, thanks!

I have the manual, I will read it again and look for what you are talking about, thanks!

It's weird that a Limited Edition Explorer would have the manual HVAC controls and not the EATC. The Limited was the highest trim level and I would think it would have come with the automatic controls (and almost all available options) for sure.

Yes, the limited I also thought came fully loaded. I know the Eddie Bauer's you could get with manual controls and the message center as I had a 1996 Eddie set up that way.
It's weird that a Limited Edition Explorer would have the manual HVAC controls and not the EATC. The Limited was the highest trim level and I would think it would have come with the automatic controls (and almost all available options) for sure.

He has the owners manual and will read it. That is what I understood from that.

Oh, ..... well never mind then.......

Yeah now that you pointed it out I see that also.
Loquetus

Loquetus
You sir must be a genius, or alternatively, have done this job a dozen times. I recently replaced that controller, and it was at least an hour of knuckle bruising. And that's just a short time after replacing the same part on a Crown Vic -- which is a bit easier, but not much.

You sir must be a genius, or alternatively, have done this job a dozen times. I recently replaced that controller, and it was at least an hour of knuckle bruising. And that's just a short time after replacing the same part on a Crown Vic -- which is a bit easier, but not much.

I did it in my 01 because it wasn't the right one I believe, took me about 20 minutes, which I've done it in both an EATC car and a manual climate car, the manual seemed easier

I have had that part of my rig apart a dozen times. It takes me less then 5 minutes to remove the cruise control unit, (1 bolt ), and remove the wiring plugs for the fan, (easy plug to get undone), and the blower control unit, (have to fight that plug a little), and then about 6 minutes to remove 4 or 5 screws that hold the fan in, (fight with it a little because I did not remove the reservoir tanks), along with the blower breather tube, and the 2 small screws that hold the blower control unit in. You will find moving the blower gives you clean access tho the blower control module. I also have small quarter drive tools that get right in there to do the job. You will be that fast also if you have to do it in the extreme heat or cold checking for electrical glitches on the fan and resister or control module as I have done. It would have been a lot easier with 2 people but that would not be the adventure of owning an older explorer, as many here in this group can attest to.
Loquetus

He has the owners manual and will read it. That is what I understood from that.
Yes she does have the owner's manual and it is getting quite dog eared!!

I haven't fully explored the heater yet, have had to deal with other things...like the friggin fraggin fuel filter at -20 C!

Oh well, she's getting close to being all fixed up now.

I have had that part of my rig apart a dozen times. It takes me less then 5 minutes to remove the cruise control unit, (1 bolt ), and remove the wiring plugs for the fan, (easy plug to get undone), and the blower control unit, (have to fight that plug a little), and then about 6 minutes to remove 4 or 5 screws that hold the fan in, (fight with it a little because I did not remove the reservoir tanks), along with the blower breather tube, and the 2 small screws that hold the blower control unit in. You will find moving the blower gives you clean access tho the blower control module. I also have small quarter drive tools that get right in there to do the job. You will be that fast also if you have to do it in the extreme heat or cold checking for electrical glitches on the fan and resister or control module as I have done. It would have been a lot easier with 2 people but that would not be the adventure of owning an older explorer, as many here in this group can attest to.
Loquetus

Thanks for the info!! The heater is on the list for this weekend.

I was talking about the owner's manual :)

Back