2000 ford explorer new multifunction switch issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer new multifunction switch issue

hmmwv15

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I've been a lurker for a while. Found some great info on here!

My explorer started smoking around the hazard switch, I found that it is a common issue so I ordered a new switch. I installed it, tested it and everything works...kinda...

turn signals - check...
hazards - check...
bright light momentary and constant - check...
momentary wiper, and momentary wiper/windshield mist - check...
intermittent wiper - negative
slow speed wiper - negative
warp drive wiper - check minus (or plus, depending on how you want to look at it :D)

Slight problem...
When the wiper is on warp drive, you cannot turn it off. You can turn the truck off, crank it back up and they remain in warp drive. Only way to shut them off is to remove the negative terminal from the battery post. Then it's all good so long as you don't need wipers, and you don't turn warp drive on, in which case you have to re set it again.

I'm just curious as to what is causing this. The old and the new switch are identical down to the number of pins in the connectors.

I bought it from rockauto as a closeout item, so I'll have to jump through some hoops to get a replacement I imagine. Sometimes I hate it when I don't buy from brick and mortar...

If nothing else this is a warning to anyone who may see this before they dive into replacing their multifunction switch.

Take care

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely an issue with the new switch. I went ahead and cleaned/greased the contacts inside the old switch. No more smoke and everything works again. I'll have to fuss with rockauto next week to see if I can get a replacement switch or a refund.

I suppose what needs to be learned from this, is to buy parts like these from a parts store so you can take it right back if it doesn't work.

Did Rock Auto replace the thing?
I just change mine today, and same thing...wipers go in warp drive.
No slow or other regulated speeds for them.
Signals ok, hazard ok.
I changed mine due to the fact that I have no High Beam, or Flash to Pass High Beam.
Since there is no High Beam Relay, so it appears, it all pointed to the multifunction switch. Dang...LOL (really not funny though)
Terry

They did no problem. It was actually a pretty painless process, I think all you have to do is go to their website, answer a short questionnaire about your issue and they will send you a pre paid fed ex label. (I hope you kept the packaging) - All you have to do is re-package it in the box it was shipped in, tape the label on, and just drop it off at a fed ex store. The hardest part for me was finding a fed ex store in my area. I think the switch was shipped to me via USPS, so I either carefully peeled off the USPS labels or just flipped the box inside out and re-taped it.

I wish you luck fixing your high beam issue. I would definitely go to a good auto parts store local to you, that way you could at least bring it back to them until they got the right switch. They should be able to pull up the right one by your VIN number, an option that rockauto lacks. Then you could try your hand at taking apart your old switch to see if you can find the problem and fix it. Just try and cover the openings, the turn signal spring and detent usually try to go flying out.

Here is a link if it will work, if not click on the order status and returns tab on the left hand side of the home page.

http://www.rockauto.com/orderstatus/orderstatus.php

already packaged and on its way to them.
I had to purchase return shipping, given my local, but that is ok. I ask for a replacement, and if that fails, then I'll go for a refund on it. Thanks again, Terry

same thing happen and even with the 2nd unit they sent. Rock Auto refunded, must be some defective units they got in

Which unit did you buy? I have a Motorcraft one sitting here from Rock Auto waiting to be put in...

Bill

They offer what 2 or 3 different ones, but I ordered the one for my 2000 XLS 4.0 OHV non Postal unit. It plugged right in, fit like a glove, just didn't work. Wipers go into hyper drive and will not shut off, etc...like the other posts

That's strange. I wonder what the deal is with that wiper thing...

In any case, rebuilding the switch wasn't too big of a deal, but the trick is getting the turn signal detent spring (and ball bearing I think??) to stay put while you re-assemble the switch. It's been a while since I've done it but I remember the high beam stalk had to be in a certain position for me to put it back together. I just played around with it for a while until I figured it out.

Again, if you go this route, the spring likes to fly out of the switch when you split it apart. Just be extremely cautious of that.

My switch is still functioning just fine btw.

Hope y'all get your trucks taken care of.

You have the wrong switch. There are different versions of the switch that all look the same and plug in just fine, but they don't all work the same way. I had the same wiper problem with mine. You can replace it with the correct switch for your model year, or you can use parts from the new one to rebuild your old switch.

You have the wrong switch. There are different versions of the switch that all look the same and plug in just fine, but they don't all work the same way. I had the same wiper problem with mine. You can replace it with the correct switch for your model year, or you can use parts from the new one to rebuild your old switch.

This is correct.

It's been impossible for me to find a switch for my truck because I fall between the 2 switches.
The switch from 95-97 should be the same, the switch from 98-2001 should be the same. Sports also have different switches.
They all look identical, have the same plugs, but if you look at the pinouts, some of the numbers are at different locations.

Take your original switch and compare where the numbers are with the new ones on the pins, you'll notice that some do no match up at all, which is why the wipers go crazy.

Back