2000 Ford Explorer Sport stumped on electrical problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Sport stumped on electrical problem

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey, new member so sorry if anything is missing. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport, and recently i've been having an electrical issue. This past wednesday I went to start my car, and when i turned the key everything came on, but once i tried to start, everything died and shut off. The engine didnt even attempt to turn, turning the key to ignition was the equivalent of taking the key out. Had to get a jump start from a tow truck, car started right up no problems, drove home.

I tried reconditioning/recharging the battery, no dice, same symptom. Got a battery replacement today (sunday), and when I went to start the car, same thing happened, everything died upon trying to start. Ok, maybe battery needed to be charged up, put it on a 8amp charge for a couple hours, this time when I went to start, I heard the engine attempt to crank for a split second before again, everything shut off. Put the battery on a 2amp trickle charge for the night, and here I am.

My question, if it's not the battery, what else could it be? Is it a bad starter? I don't even know if starter can just spontaneously fail like that, with no warning. Right now i'm thinking there's corrosion on one of the wires somewhere, but i dont even know if that could be it. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or at the very least could give some direction what you would think this could be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like a bad battery cable or loose connection. Since you've already installed a new battery, check
the positive cable connection to the starter and the negative cable connection to the bolt at the starter base.
I'll bet one or the other will be corroded or loose. One of the cables itself could be bad inside it's insulation.
(Eaten away by corrosion.)

well done @Runnin'OnEmpty agreed sounds like corrosion or bad connection at the battery or terminals

UPDATE: I tried starting the car again today, no dice, then shook the negative terminal connection a bit and tried again, and the car started. Took apart the terminal and there's corrosion on the wire. It's now sitting in a baking soda solution before I try reconnecting everything.

get yourself a battery terminal brush. around $5.

s-l1600.jpg

@koda2000 the battery terminals and the clips are actually very clean with no signs of corrosion. The issue I found was the negative wire that went into the terminal clip was corroded, thus why I'm soaking the end of the wire in a baking soda solution before putting it back into the clip.

Baking soda will neutralize acid but it won't turn oxidized wire back into highly conductive wire. You may need to abrade away that oxidized layer for best results, or if there's slack just cut off the oxidized end, strip back enough insulation to put in a new clamp.

OP- If you have corrosion wicking into the copper wire you should probably think about replacing that cable. Also, I've had terminals that looked clean (no visible corrosion, just dull grey color) not make a good enough contact. I find that cleaning the post and the terminals with a battery brush keeps things working properly. I also spraying the terminals with CRC battery protectant helps to keep the corrosion at bay.

Update 2: I took everyones advice and put the wire into a vinegar solution for an hour and it removed the corrosion completely. I also cleaned the inside of the terminal clips, and the battery terminals themselves for good measure. Car starts up fine now. Ideally I would replace the wire, but as im leaving to go back to school in a couple weeks, so maybe next summer I will. Thank you everyone for the input, and i'm really glad I found this forum.

I had this happen to my friends mazda speed three once it was bad diodes inside the alternator

Back