2000 Ford Explorer xls 4.0L won’t Start some times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer xls 4.0L won’t Start some times

Ford XLS

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
ive replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, electronic coil pack, starter, fuel pump, relays. It doesn’t turn over but cranks. Getting fuel. Theft light turns off during key ignition. Doesn’t blink or stay on. Not sure what the problem is. It would start sometimes and now not at all. I’ve also checked for current in wiring of all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, electronic coil pack, starter, fuel pump, relays. It doesn’t turn over but cranks. Getting fuel. Theft light turns off during key ignition. Doesn’t blink or stay on. Not sure what the problem is. It would start sometimes and now not at all. I’ve also checked for current in wiring of all.

Sounds like it might possibly even just be an empty or bad/weak battery (possibly also not being charged because of a bad alternator?). Can you get it running when you jumpstart it with another vehicle?

I finally figured it out it was the crankshaft position sensor. Cost me 16.00 to buy and replace.

Battery and alternator was new also.

I finally figured it out it was the crankshaft position sensor. Cost me 16.00 to buy and replace.

Yeah, I had that happen on our '97 Sport. It would go 6 months or more starting great and then it would not start unless I wiggled the connector to the crank position connector. It was my first thought when I read your post last night.

Back