2000 Limited 5.0 no power with key on.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Limited 5.0 no power with key on..

pwrshft99

Reaction score
City, State
illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0
My truck is AWD V8.. only had a few months and don't know full history but appears well maintained. Stopped home after a short drive went out an hour later and I have no power with the key in start position, doesn't crank, no power to radio, windows or sunroof. If I turn the key backwards to accessory I have full power, everything works.

Fuel pump does not run. Theft light is blinking but speed doesn't increase, which normally indicates a anti theft issue. The vehicle does have a remote start, previous owner told me the shop that installed tape his spare key to the anti theft box. I've heard of that before but haven't found the key yet.

I've yet to check fuses or anything... a little bent at the moment. Ignition switch I'm guessing?? Don't know how big a head ache that will be. Ugh

Anybody ?? Finally getting started on work on it today, going to charge battery first.

A friend who does this stuff for a living seems to think its the ignition switch or the tumbler itself. Don't know how hard it is to replace but hope it doesn't require steering wheel removal like my old cars had to have...

Back