• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2000 Limited - How to fix driver's side seat controls pulling away

MuscleJunkie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
On my 2000 I've noticed the driver's side seat power controls are pulling away from the seat bottom. There is a gap now but no apparent breaks in the plastic like I saw on my 94 Limited. Any ideas on how to repair or what is causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Don't know, but if we had pics to better understand the situation it could help.

Do you mean that the lower portion of the seat that the panel is in is bending outward like years of sitting in the seat has gradually bent the plastic? If so then you might be able to do something like heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, wrap some rope around it to compress it some into the right shape while it cools, then reinforce the back where it's (un)bending with fiberglass matting. I don't know if the plastic is immune to fiberglass resin or not so it might be safer to use slightly flexible (typical clear) epoxy instead.

... just an idea, I might be completely off track.

MuscleJunkie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Don't know, but if we had pics to better understand the situation it could help.

Do you mean that the lower portion of the seat that the panel is in is bending outward like years of sitting in the seat has gradually bent the plastic? If so then you might be able to do something like heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, wrap some rope around it to compress it some into the right shape while it cools, then reinforce the back where it's (un)bending with fiberglass matting. I don't know if the plastic is immune to fiberglass resin or not so it might be safer to use slightly flexible (typical clear) epoxy instead.

... just an idea, I might be completely off track.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow. The whole plastic panel that holds the power controls is not tight up against the seat bottom. You can push it back against the seat bottom but it will not stay completely flush (has a larger gap) but nothing visually broken that I can tell.

Thanks

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
You may have to pull the whole seat out to get a better look at what's going on, or can that panel be unscrewed with the seat in? Hmm, I don't even know if it is screwed in, just assuming it is.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
if i recall correctly, there are a couple of screws and some locating clips that hold the plastic seat trim on and in place. if the screws are still there and tight, you may have broken the plastic. once i see the pics i'd be able to tell better. if this is the case, there are plenty of Explorers in the salvage yard for a replacement.