2000 Limited - How to fix driver's side seat controls pulling away | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Limited - How to fix driver's side seat controls pulling away

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
On my 2000 I've noticed the driver's side seat power controls are pulling away from the seat bottom. There is a gap now but no apparent breaks in the plastic like I saw on my 94 Limited. Any ideas on how to repair or what is causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know, but if we had pics to better understand the situation it could help.

Do you mean that the lower portion of the seat that the panel is in is bending outward like years of sitting in the seat has gradually bent the plastic? If so then you might be able to do something like heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, wrap some rope around it to compress it some into the right shape while it cools, then reinforce the back where it's (un)bending with fiberglass matting. I don't know if the plastic is immune to fiberglass resin or not so it might be safer to use slightly flexible (typical clear) epoxy instead.

... just an idea, I might be completely off track.

Don't know, but if we had pics to better understand the situation it could help.

Do you mean that the lower portion of the seat that the panel is in is bending outward like years of sitting in the seat has gradually bent the plastic? If so then you might be able to do something like heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, wrap some rope around it to compress it some into the right shape while it cools, then reinforce the back where it's (un)bending with fiberglass matting. I don't know if the plastic is immune to fiberglass resin or not so it might be safer to use slightly flexible (typical clear) epoxy instead.

... just an idea, I might be completely off track.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow. The whole plastic panel that holds the power controls is not tight up against the seat bottom. You can push it back against the seat bottom but it will not stay completely flush (has a larger gap) but nothing visually broken that I can tell.

Thanks

You may have to pull the whole seat out to get a better look at what's going on, or can that panel be unscrewed with the seat in? Hmm, I don't even know if it is screwed in, just assuming it is.

if i recall correctly, there are a couple of screws and some locating clips that hold the plastic seat trim on and in place. if the screws are still there and tight, you may have broken the plastic. once i see the pics i'd be able to tell better. if this is the case, there are plenty of Explorers in the salvage yard for a replacement.

Back