2000 mercury mountaineer awd 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 mercury mountaineer awd 5.0

R.Stallings

Reaction score
hello everyone..my name is randy..i have a 2000 mercury mountaineer awd 5.0..i am having a problem with it and need some insight..when you start driving it..its starts making a clanking sound..the faster you go..the louder it gets..thought maybe wheel bears..ruled that out..went and got the u joint..hoping this will fix my problem..after reading some of the post on here i am unsure..i work on my own cars..due to the fact i cannot pay for a mechanic..so any input on this..would be great and i would be very thankful..

i had an issue like this on my trail blazer it turned out to be the hub

yeah i thought the same thing..jacked it up..messed with the wheels no play at all in the wheels..so the wheel bearings should be good..i was told if the wheel moves then its the bearings..if it dont then the bearings are ok..so what i was thinking..was maybe the u joint..but after reading on here..starting to think it might of spun the drive shaft..had the stock tires in rims on it when it started acting up..put a set of 20inch rims on it while its been sitting..took it down the road and back with the 20s on it and it is really really bad now..it slows it self down and sounds really bad like the front end is falling out front under it..would the front drive shaft do this or is the problem bigger then i am thinking..again i dont have the funds to take this to a mechanic wish i did..but i am a do it yourself man..just need this truck..only thing i have to pull my boat lol..fishing season is coming lol..thanks everyone for looking and for your input..
thanks p8ntballr68059 wish it was just the wheel bearings...

Back