2000 Mountaineer v. 2000 Explorer Eddie | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mountaineer v. 2000 Explorer Eddie

knockaboutman

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 SOHC Limited
Which would be a better buy? I have a choice between a Mount or an Eddie. The Eddie has the heated seats and the reverse sensors, the Mount has a hard load XLT with grey leather, moonroof, and tow package. Does the Mountaineer come from a different plant that tightens the bolts tighter, does the leather last longer, is there really a difference between the two?

Both are 2000 V8 AWD versions but the Eddie has a different paint scheme while the Mount is black and grey. I think I can get the Mountaineer for around 4K-5K with 105,000 miles.

I was told to stay with 2000 because the 2002-2003 have some transmission and other problems. Don't know if that is accurate but I do like the 302 V8 in the second gens.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personal tastes. They're similarly spec'd, but look different. Whatever you decide, go 5.0 (which you seem to be). You won't regret it. Consider 1999 and 2001 as well. Ford hardly touched the 4 doors in those years. Just minor tweaks from year to year. They're almost identical.

Are the 2002-2003 Explorers and Mountaineers better quality than the second gens?

Is the 210 hp V6 SOHC that comes on an Eddie or Limited a bad engine or is it the 5-speed auto transmission? I have a buddy that has one and it is pretty responsive.

No. Especially the 2002 model year.

Agreed, my brother had an 02 explorer. Problems all the time: tanny, stuck in 4x4 whatever. If it can happen it happend to him.

He got so fed up with spending money on a truck that would work he went out and bought a new 2011 F-250.

Is the 210 hp V6 SOHC that comes on an Eddie or Limited a bad engine or is it the 5-speed auto transmission? I have a buddy that has one and it is pretty responsive.

The sohc isnt a bad engine. It does suffer from timing chain failure. Thats its biggest down fall. Otherwise i have the sohc in my sport and love it. It has alot more kick then my 93 explorer with the ohv v6 did.

Looks like we might be going with a 99 Limited SOHC V6. I wanted to get the V8 but this Explorer is in great condition with just a few things, like the radio not lighting up.

Let me know if I am making a bad call since the deal goes down this week.

Just check to make sure you dont hear a rattle coming from the engine. Also ask if the timing chain was ever serviced. If the engine runs and sounds fine i would not hesitate to pick up the v6 sohc.

Looks like we might be going with a 99 Limited SOHC V6. I wanted to get the V8 but this Explorer is in great condition with just a few things, like the radio not lighting up.

Let me know if I am making a bad call since the deal goes down this week.

Here's your notice, that SOHC V6 is a bad call. The V8 is about 99/100 times much better than the V6. Not many people can screw up the V8, meaning it is possible to find a bad 302 Explorer.

But it's very very likely that any SOHC you get will require valvetrain work in the near future. Do the research here if you'd like to, there are countless examples of SOHC trucks having lots of work done on the valvetrain.

I own both, and the SOHC I learned about just after buying it. I did the work to it, and it's been fine for 63k miles so far. But I know it'll need more work given the miles.

The 98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer V8 trucks are almost identical. Those engine/trans combos are tons and tons more reliable than the two available V6's. I would pay $1000 more for the V8 truck, or more specifically not buy the V6 unless I had to.

I've worked on these trucks, I like to stay ahead of problems, and I've done that. Surely you would prefer to have less problems, if so then do not buy the SOHC truck. I'd rather jump to the 2005 V8's than a SOHC V6, and I do not like the 2002+ Fords. Good luck,

With the 302 truck you shouldn't have to worry about the engine/trans when buying it. Concentrate on finding the truck with the features you like, the one in the best condition, interior and options.

My signature line says it all,175,000 mile on my 5.0 and it runs like a top,I had to do a couple of things to the truck but none of them were engine,tranny related.:D

Hmm. Some guys treat the sohc like its the black plague. But here is a good thread that i dug up that might help you to make up your mind. Click Me!. What every engine option you go with i am sure you wond be dissapointed.

Quoting or referencing just the minority who have not had the horrible experience of SOHC valvetrain failure does not help him. It is far more helpful to tell him everything that could go wrong, and what will go wrong.

The SOHC engines all need replacement of certain engine parts regularly. If it can't go to 150k 99% of the time, that engine should be avoided. I'd bet that less than 15% of all SOHC V6's have reached 150k without any valvetrain work. The tensioners alone, which hold the cam chains tight, need to go more often than every 100k. The internal spring in those do not last that long. Even though they are a $50 part, it is a big deal for most people to change those.

Start a pole of members who have had to work on the SOHC. Ask how many would rather have a 302 and do no internal work to it, or own the SOHC knowing that they will have to work on it. Easy call, buy the 302. The 2mpg or so difference is not worth it if fuel mileage is your thing. Regards,

Huh. I will agree that the sohc has its down falls but if it really is that terrible why are people still buying them used? I know there is countless threads on here related to the sohc problems but i think its hard to say whose in the the minority or majority. Usually people dont start threads about how there ex is running fine. You only hear about the problem ones. In the link i posted i saw several guys going 200,000+ with out major engine work. I would love to have the v8 in my sport but that wasnt an option. I have 120,x.. on my sport now and the sohc is running great without any previous major work done to it. I would have no concerns about buying another sohc as long as its running fine and had been well maintained.

I think whatever he goes with he will be happy. It could be worse... He could be getting a durango or blazer.

Well I just picked up a 1999 Limited V6 with the tick of death! I guess we will see what happens.

I tried to tell you. I have tried to tell tons of new Explorer buyers.

You will not find any(virtually none) 302 owners with engine problems here, nor the V8(4R70W) trans.

Do more digging. You can likely find 100 threads here about people with problems with that V6 transmission, and I'd say 50-100 about the SOHC V6. That's a huge number to find on just this forum, that is not all that exist in the world.

I deliver mail for a living, I know brakes and transmissions, not to mention Ford engines and taking good care of it all. I learned long ago to avoid the V6 trans, yet I bought a $1500 wrecked 99 Limited hoping the new 5R55E was better. After four years and what I worked on to start with, it has done very well. But with more mileage the same problems will pop up soon enough. The 302/4R70W does not have those problems. If I was still using my 99 truck for work, I'd be rebuilding my extra 302/4R70W to swap into it before long.

If you really believed this, you would take that truck back fast and get the money back. You are not going to like to have to do the engine work, not to mention the trans which will need help eventually too.

Honestly- No offense at all intended, but why did you buy the truck if it was already ticking after reading Don's posts and knowing the issues with the SOHC?

Do more digging. You can likely find 100 threads here about people with problems with that V6 transmission, and I'd say 50-100 about the SOHC V6. That's a huge number to find on just this forum, that is not all that exist in the world.

Keep in mind that the Explorer is one of the best, if not THE best, selling SUV's on the market. The SOHC motor is in a large percentage of those. That means there is a countless number of SOHC's out there. I'm going to guess that members on this board represent a small minority of those. So, 100 posts from people on this board who have had problems with their truck does not tell me that mine is a ticking time bomb.

I deliver mail for a living, I know brakes and transmissions, not to mention Ford engines and taking good care of it all.

You've stated you deliver mail for a living. That kind of stop and go driving is notoriously hard on a vehicle. I'm not going to deny that there have been issues with the timing chain and transmissions on some of the model years, but that doesn't guarantee that this is going to happen to every single one. Your experience is definitley valuable as you put your vehicles through harsh condtions which basically test it out in a manner that is outside the realm of the normal daily driver. But, because it's not the norm, it doesn't make sense to say, based on your handful of vehicles vs the many many more on the road, that every single one is going to live a short life and then blow up. I have also owned a few explorers, all with the 4.0 sohc. I am selling my 98 today with 90k miles. No timing chain noise. No transmission problems. Lots of towing. Could it blow up next week? Sure. Is it exhibiting any signs that that is going to happen? No. Any used vehicle purchase is a risk. It is up to the buyer to check that vehicle out until they are comfortable with the condition for the price they are paying.

I would pay $1000 more for the V8 truck, or more specifically not buy the V6 unless I had to.

For some of us, such as myself, "just pay the extra $1000 and find a v8" is not an option. I'm on a budget. This is why I'm buying a used vehicle instead of a new one. I don't have an extra $1000 in change laying around between the seat cushions.

I would have no problems, and I am actually planning on, buying another SOHC. A 2002! GASP! Once again, could it blow up? Sure. Is it showing any signs of that now? No. Based on my experience, it's a risk I'm willing to take for the money I have to spend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly- No offense at all intended, but why did you buy the truck if it was already ticking after reading Don's posts and knowing the issues with the SOHC?

Did not get this message until I got the truck. Also, for the price that I got it, I can get work done to the engine and would have some reliability for a bit.

Back