2000 OHV Coolant Leak - Location Known, need some help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 OHV Coolant Leak - Location Known, need some help please

ford4joe

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, Pennslyvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hey everyone,
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport with the OHV engine. For the past year or so, I've had a coolant leak but I could never identify where it was. I finally found the spot, and I took a picture:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/20110426132935.jpg/

The leak is coming from in between the connection between the hose. The host connects to the radiator, and that area itself is above the water pump. (I think thats what that is? XD)

My question is this, I'm trying to get a replacement part for my truck however no one seems to have it, or know what I'm talking about. I've been to a local Advanced Auto Parts and they didn't have any hose fittings like the one in my truck. Is there somewhere I can order the part from to fix this leak? I'd appreciate any input I can get, Thanks!

You mean your thermostat housing?

That's what's in the picture you took, the hose connects to it and makes a 90 degree turn into the engine block, that your thermostat housing, and your thermostat is right in there behind the housing. Is it leaking from where the hose meets the housing? if so you may need a hose and a hose clamp, but I would change out your thermostat and gasket while you're in there anyways, and check the housing for any cracks.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the information! I was trying to figure out what the hell was what under my hood and that one piece always confused me.

Would it be expensive to replace the thermostat and gasket? I understand why I should since I would have it available to be checked anyway.

I have a few thermostat housings laying around. I just need to know what the diameter of the hose connection area is 9Under the hose), as there are 2 different possiblities, and which color you would want it to be. 15.00 shipped to ya.

Back