2000 Ranger output shaft play

faco

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0
2wd, auto, 95,000 miles

Took the driveshaft off and noticed some play on the output shaft. The seal also has a minor leak.

Is any play allowed?

I have a video, not sure how to attach here...youtube perhaps?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shaft will be a little loose with the drive shaft out, its normal. The output shaft of the transmission slides into the driveshaft yoke, the driveshaft yoke is supported by the bushing in the extension housing of the transmission.

I still have a little play even with the driveshaft in. is that OK? The bushing you are talking about, would that be just after the seal - in that "neck" area.

Thanks for your reply.

The less movement at that area with the driveshaft in is ideal, however its common for a little movement. I would just replace the seal, I rarely have to replace that bushing.

The bushing is right behind the seal in the end of the extension housing.

IMO just replace the bushing and seal. I'm not even close to James level of knowledge as far as transmissions go. However it's pretty cheap and easy to replace em both

I have been searching for the how-to on the bushing replacement, but have come up empty. Does the extension housing have to come out? Would that be taking the shaft out, supporting tranny, undo tranny mount and extension housing bolts??

Dump fluid, drop driveshaft, and take off extension housing. Need to use a slide hammer if I remember right.

Thanks James,

Here is a video http://youtu.be/SoJx2CQTGWI. Is this too much play? And if so, what is the solution?

That play without the driveshaft yoke in place to hold it still is normal. The only way to lessen that movement would be to replace the case bushing, this bushing will require the complete disassembly of the transmission, and I don't think it will change much from what you have. Put the driveshaft yoke back in and check the movement that way.

If you want to replace the extension housing bushing behind the rear seal you will have to remove the extension housing from the transmission. You will have to remove the mount from the crossmember, jack up the tranny using the pan, remove the mount from the extension housing then remove the 17mm extension housing bolts that hold it to the transmission case.

The bushing can be driven out with a hammer and punch (screwdriver) if you are careful not to damage the aluminum housing. The new one should be pressed in, I use a bushing driver but you should be able to come up with something compatable, like the back of a big socket.

Here is a kit I found on Ebay, it has the gasket, seal, and bushing.

Back