2000 Ranger Transmission. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ranger Transmission.

tp45745

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0 and when lugging along it will shift hard, like rev up and then shift, but if you are going at a normal steady speed and excel fast it won't do it. Is my transmission going out? I had taken it to a shop to have the fluid changed and this is when it started doing this. I took it back to the shop and he told me they didn't put in "excalibor?" so they did this and told me to wait about a week and if it didn't work it was probably the transmission. Has anyone else had this problem? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they replaced the fluid and the filter, or at least that is what they said they did.

My mother has a 2000 Ranger and is experiencing similar problems. The O/D blinks intermittently and steady, and shifting into second gear is loud and violent. I have been reading up a little: So far some common denominators seem to be Solenoid, Speed Sensor, Torque Converter, and bad wiring to the speed sensor.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

...Get your codes read, as the blinking OD light means you have a fault code...

That is what I am going to do, have it checked and get the codes. My question is: Are there "typical" (maybe not the right word) fixes? Are there common denominators as far as (fixing) this issue is concerned?

For example, "Most of the time it is" such and such or "It is never that" but instead "It is usually a"....I am just wondering if anyone has had firsthand experience with this issue and has maybe found a "Common fix"???

Thank you for the replies....

Sometimes it could be a mechanical failure, and other times it could be electrical. A bad wiring harness would indicate that an electrical part is bad, but if the part is tested, it will show that it's still good.

Back