2000 SOHC X Codes: P0133/P1131/P0135 Ruff Idle...Im guessing the o2? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 SOHC X Codes: P0133/P1131/P0135 Ruff Idle...Im guessing the o2?

MountainSplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 X EB SOHC 4x4
Alright here it goes....

I read the o2 Sensor thread and about how it can likely not be the o2.I got the car with the CEL on. The guy I purchase it from said he sprayed a system cleaner and it started doing that. I read about the fluids that can damage them, so I am guessing thats what it is.

I had the codes read and the 1st was MAF VOR system and I replaced the MAF sensor and then reset the computer via disconnecting the battery, I was never told the code. Cel came back 2nd time I started the car to drive to return the other MAF core.

Now that code isnt gone (Or maybe discount and autozone use different readers)

So now I have had them read it today, and they showed me so I could write them down I now get

P0133 Oxygen Circuit slow to respond Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1131 Lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch sensor indicates lean Bank 1
P0135 Oxygen o2 heater sensor circuit malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1

So is it safe to say its the o2?

I was googling codes and came up with a thread on here about a OHV X running bad, with bad idle where it ended up being an EGR, however he only had one of my codes. But his car ran like crap.

So can the o2 make a X have a rough idle, its not terrible and doesnt stall but its not smooth when its hot or cold, but for sure at idle, no missing or anything.

Thanks for all the help, I have used this website so much for info on explorers its priceless. I hope to get to a meet some time.

Lean Codes

Has anyone mentioned intake manifold gaskets ( O-rings actually )? Its pretty common when you read a Lean Bank 1 or 2 it can be old and leaky intake o-rings allowing extra un-metered air into the cylinder. I believe one of the codes is 0142 for that too. It will cause the engine to rough idle especially on cool / cold mornings and then gradually get better as you build heat and the o-rings expand.

Has anyone mentioned intake manifold gaskets ( O-rings actually )? Its pretty common when you read a Lean Bank 1 or 2 it can be old and leaky intake o-rings allowing extra un-metered air into the cylinder. I believe one of the codes is 0142 for that too. It will cause the engine to rough idle especially on cool / cold mornings and then gradually get better as you build heat and the o-rings expand.

I got the car with 175k and though it's been flawlessly maintained I don't have any paperwork on it. How hard would it be to do those or how much are the gaskets I'm a big DIY person.

But oddly my idle sucks when hot to, it's like a wavering. I also did clean the iac all up and that didn't do much. It runs awesome just not at idle lol

Thanks for the idea! Keep em coming :)

Back